Chapter 17

"Lightspark? Then—" he turned to face the tom with her. "You're Quillflight!"

The thick-furred tom nodded, his orange gaze staring at him. Ravenpaw wanted to yowl out happily like a kit, but he wasn't. He nuzzled his parents.

"You can see. . ." Lightspark gasped quietly.

"StarClan blessed me." Ravenpaw whispered.

Foxtail scrambled over to them. An annoyed glance on her face. "Why are you nuzzling our enemies?" She snorted.

"They're Lightspark and Quillflight!" Ravenpaw exclaimed. "Our parents!"

Foxtail's eyes grew wide. She let out a squeal of excitement, joining in with nuzzling them. Foxtail stepped back, a bright expression on her face.

"I'm a warrior now," she puffed, "my name is Foxtail."

Ravenpaw dipped his head. "I'm still an apprentice."

As the cats surrounded the newcomers, Claweye shoved himself closer. His eyes narrowed. Lightspark flinched back, scowling. All Claweye did was sniff and turn his back on her. Why were they like this to each other?

Maybe Claweye just doesn't like rogues, and Lightspark got scared, he thought.

"Ravenpaw! Lightspark and Quillflight will sleep with you in the apprentices' den," Featherstar meowed. "Try showing them the moor and the mountains so they can get familiar with it while they stay."

Ravenpaw nodded.

Ravenpaw yawned, flexing his claws while he woke. He glanced to face his parents who were heaps of fur curled together. Ravenpaw prodded them, but they seemed too tired from traveling yesterday. Shrugging, Ravenpaw leaped outside the den. Bristlenose flicked her tail, waiting outside.

Her eyes looked dull and her breaths came in low raspy breaths. Ravenpaw wrinkled his nose.

"I'm no medicine cat. But I trained as one before. And you're clearly not okay."

Bristlenose didn't reply. She just responded with a mutter: "Let's get our training session going."

Ravenpaw leaped in front of her. His green eyes glowed furiously in the sun. Bristlenose flinched.

"Come on! We're going to Shrewwhisker."

He led his mentor down to the den. Thrushleg was the only one inside, giving Thicketstripe some herbs. Thicketstripe seemed exhausted as well, taking short breaths

before continuing walking. Ravenpaw sniffed, what's with all the she-cats lately? Ravenpaw scrambled inside, sending grit outside from behind him.

"Whoops! Seems like you're growing too big for the entrance." Thrushleg joked.

Bristlenose followed slowly behind him. "Bristlenose is sick and won't tell me what it is."

Thrushleg sniffed around her. "Well what do you feel Bristlenose?" He prompted.

"Just tiredness." Bristlenose meowed.

"No aches in the belly? Sudden movements?"

Bristlenose's eyes grew furious. She snarled loudly. "Are you saying I'm expecting kits?"

"I have not mentioned kits." Thrushleg mewed, he seemed to take no notice of Bristlenose's snap.

Bristlenose twirled around, facing the entrance of the den. "Forget this!" she spat.

Ravenpaw watched as his mentor stormed out. He sighed. Thrushleg had gotten back to his herbs. Well now what? He scrambled out the den, searching desperately for his mentor and her scent. She's gone!

His ears pricked as he heard Featherstar yowling. "All cats old enough to run the moor or climb the mountains gather here under the Meeting Tree for a Clan meeting!" the leader yowled. Ravenpaw sat beside Foxtail, who gazed excitedly at the leader.

Cats rustled around, leaping down the mountains. Ravenpaw saw out the corner of his eye, Lightspark and Quillflight sitting proudly beside each other, tails entwined. Ravenpaw pricked his ears as Featherstar went on.

"Today an apprentice will be made into a warrior." He yowled. "Ravenpaw, you have grown big and strong and been blessed by StarClan. From now on you shall be known as Ravenflight. Bristlenose has done well training you."

Ravenflight felt as if his chest would burst with pride. He glanced proudly at his Clanmates.

"Ravenflight! Ravenflight!" They yowled.

Ravenflight purred loudly.