Chapter 4

"Pounce!"

Ravenpaw pounced up, batting Mistleheart. He had to do his lessons with his eyes close. Mistleheart jumped sideways, Ravenpaw smelled her scents as it moved the other way and whipped around hitting her face in time.

The calico warrior purred, standing up. "Much better."

Ravenpaw heaved for breath. His ears roared, blood pumped in it and his shoulders sagged. He had been training with Mistleheart for a while now.

"Ravenpaw you have done very well." Mistleheart smirked. "Your clanmates will be happy when they find out you can fight despite being blind."

Ravenpaw's eyes grew round with worry. "But what if—"

"Wait!" Mistleheart hissed. "Your mentor is calling you."

Ravenpaw woke up, eyes wide. He was back in his den. Beetlepaw snored beside him. Ravenpaw sat up and yawned.

Hollowpaw flicked her tail. "Hi!"

"Did Bristlenose call me?" Ravenpaw asked, ignoring the brown she-cat.

Hollowpaw seemed hurt, but she replied. "Yeah."

Ravenpaw stood up. It had been a quarter moon ever since Hollowpaw, Beetlepaw, and Petalpaw were kits. They left Snailkit hissing with frustration while Frostkit seemed just as curious. Ravenpaw felt his muscles ache from the training with Mistleheart, he forced himself out the den and deliberately let the leaf flaps hit his face to wake him up.

Bristlenose was pacing outside the den, her ears pricking as Ravenpaw appeared. Ravenpaw felt a fat droplet of rain fall on his nose. It would be rainy today.

"Finally!" Bristlenose growled. "You always sleep in!"

Ravenpaw licked his paw and drew it over his ear. He had gotten used to Bristlenose's short-temperedness. Ravenpaw raced after Bristlenose into the battle hole the camp had. It was tucked in with brambles and the warriors' were working hard to make it for the apprentices. Ravenpaw charged into the battle hole, the brambles dug in his pelt, wincing, Ravenpaw pulled out into the clearing.

Ravenpaw circled his mentor excitedly. He would show her his battle moves he learned! Maybe he would be a warrior quicker with them!

"Can we start?" Ravenpaw asked impatiently.

Bristlenose narrowed his eyes. "I thought you would eat first."

Ravenpaw shook his head. He didn't feel hungry.

"Let's wait for Petalpaw and Pinefrost." Bristlenose mewed.

Ravenpaw narrowed his eyes. "Just a quick warm up?"

"Warm up yourself." Bristlenose meowed.

As she said that the brambles shook and Pinefrost and Petalpaw appeared. Petalpaw's eyes were wide and excited as Pinefrost came over slowly. Ravenpaw unsheathed and sheathed his claws, when would they battle? They'll be so amazed when they see a blind cat fight! Ravenpaw thought.

"Okay you two," Pinefrost meowed. "You'll be battling freely. We want to see what you've learned and then move on to learning basic stuff,"

Ravenpaw nodded quickly. Petalpaw flicked her tail and raced over to Ravenpaw. Ravenpaw felt Petalpaw's weight on him as she pounced on him. Ravenpaw nipped Petalpaw's paw. He hissed and dodged her flailing paws.

He could hear Bristlenose's amazed mew from afar. Ravenpaw smirked. He crouched down and felt Petalpaw's scent wafting over to him. Petalpaw was about to pounce on him! Ravenpaw rolled away on the ground, grabbing Petalpaw's hindleg between his teeth and dragging her away.