Chapter 29

Ravenflight blinked, squinting through the light of the sun. His eyes shot wide as a white flake fell on his muzzle. It's snowing! More flakes began to fall down, coating his black and white pelt. Ravenflight raced over to Hollowstep who was ushering the kits to the beech tree.

He scrambled to a halt when he saw Featherstar. "It's snowing!" he meowed.

"I know. Windtuft, is it safe to head back to camp?"

Windtuft seemed unsure, but the deputy held his gaze and mewed proudly. "I believe so. It doesn't seem like mud water will wash us up again, especially since it's snowing."

Ravenflight's shoulder stiffened. Suddenly not caring for the snow, he raced over to Bristlenose. Rage pulsed in him as he hissed out. "You said that the camp will never drown to the waterfalls again!"

Bristlenose looked at him, her eyes glowed with pain. "I didn't know!"

"You lied! That's what is important, that you lied to me!" He yowled, scrambling off.

He shot away from the tree, running through the moor. The snow began to cover up the grassy floor, making a white blanket over it. He leaped over a rock, feeling invincible. How dare she lie to me? She promised! Pain flooded in his eyes and he scrambled to a halt, nearly knocking himself down the river. The river churned at his paws, Ravenflight saw fishes swimming in them.

Ravenflight curled by the river, ignoring the roarings and water that flicked into his ears. He needed to speak with StarClan! He knew he was not a medicine cat, but would they speak to him?

His eyes burst open and he found himself in the cold forest. The snow covered ground stretched at his paws, trees surrounding his path. Ravenflight pricked his ears as he heard a familiar voice.

"I told you that's not the signal for attack!"

Ravenflight shot over to the nearest bush, his pelt pricked with happiness as he saw a familiar cat. Mistleheart! But . . . who was that with her? His eyes stretched wide when he saw Frostears training with her.

Frostears panted as Mistleheart swiped at her eye, Frostears did not even bother to dodge. The deaf warrior scrambled onto the ground, her belly fur brushing the snow. "What's the use? I'm deaf! I'll never be able to help my Clanmates!"

Ravenflight heart lurched. Did Frostears have the ability to speak and hear in the Frost Forest? He was beginning to crawl away until Mistleheart had hissed his name out.

"Ravenflight, I know you're there. Your black fur sticks out like a burr between those

bushes!"

Ravenflight held his tongue and padded to her. His ears lowered, he had not spoken to her in moons, ever since StarClan granted him sight. Though, Mistleheart did not seem angry. Oddly calm.

"I congratulate you for having three healthy kits." She mewed, leaning forward. "It would have not happened if you weren't granted sight."

"Are you angry at me?"

"No. Not angry. Just disappointed." She meowed back, stiffly.

Frostears's eyes widened. "You know her, Ravenflight?"

"She helped train me when I was blind." He murmured, it felt weird speaking to a cat that was deaf and couldn't speak well.

Ravenflight's heart lurched when he realized that he was waking up. He opened his eyes, the river staring right at him. He yelped in surprise, flailing backwards. How had he forgotten that he slept here? Ravenflight narrowed his eyes, he had to leave, now. My Clan needs me. My kits need me! He shot away to the direction of the beech tree, letting out a yowl of triumph. How had he forgotten that?

Ravenflight followed Featherstar as he led the cats to the camp. Things looked good as new by the camp, and the gorses were slanted into each other, but it would still work. Ravenflight watched as Featherstar pushed from them, he followed behind, scrabbling the dust around him. Graykit dangled from his jaws, squealing.

"Hold still, Graykit!" Ravenflight mewed between her gray fur. "We're nearly there!"

Graykit replied with another squeal of protest. He pushed out the gorse and entered the camp. Hollowstep padded beside her, her eyes glowing with joy. Ravenflight squinted through the light of the sun. They were back in camp!

Hollowstep jolted over to the nursery, cherishing the newly made walls. Ravenflight followed behind, dropping Graykit at her belly. Hollowstep dropped Thistlekit too, she was carrying her.

Suddenly Mumbletooth burst through the nursery, dropping Stripekit with a hiss. "Your kit told me something terrible!"

Ravenflight peered at Stripekit, what did she say?

"It wasn't terrible! It's true!" The tiny gray kit protested.

"Stripekit told me that StarClan is fake! How could she?" Mumbletooth went on.

Ravenflight blinked. StarClan wasn't fake! Stripekit scuffled the ground, her head held up and her tail was straight. Wasn't she worried that she could be in trouble for saying something like this? Stripekit's amber eyes glowed in the dim light of the den.

"StarClan is just a tale to keep warriors out of doing bad stuff." She mewed bravely.

Mumbletooth gasped with shock.

"Stripekit," Ravenflight bent down, his green eyes staring at Stripekit's. "You can't say things like that. StarClan is true, not a tale. Our medicine cats speak to them directly."

Stripekit retorted. "Their just dreams!"

Ravenflight gripped the ground in frustration. Why was his kit so. . . stubborn? She was still a kit!

Mumbletooth leaned forward, her breath billowing his face. Ravenflight tried to not flinch. "You better fix this you two." She pointed to him and Hollowstep.

Ravenflight nodded. He watched somberly as Mumbletooth retreated out the den, Hollowstep meowed loudly as she left. "We promise! We're sorry!" but Mumbletooth took no notice of her calls.