Chapter 9

Ravenpaw followed Fernleaf as they walked through the forest. Ravenpaw scowled along the way, But Fernleaf took no notice. Ravenpaw felt his paws hurt from walking, they reached the river, it was muddier than before. It stuck to their paws and there seemed to be dips in the ground.

"Can you smell the watermint?" asked Fernleaf.

Ravenpaw tasted the air, it smelled minty. He padded closer to the river and picked up the herb. Fernleaf purred, she pushed through the reeds and picked watermint too. They collected enough until it didn't fit in their mouths. Ravenpaw trudged up the slope over to the CloudClan camp.

As they padded inside, Foxpaw raced over to Ravenpaw, nearly knocking him down. Ravenpaw growled at his sister, flicking his tail that he would be right back. He quickly trotted into the medicine den and dropped the herbs, racing back out.

Ravenpaw felt himself smaller than Foxpaw. Had his sister grown bigger? Jealousy pricked his pelt. Foxpaw led Ravenpaw outside of camp, Ravenpaw itched to know what she was going to tell him.

"Have you realized the mud had raised and got stickier?" Foxpaw meowed.

Ravenpaw's eyes grew round. "Yes. . ."

Foxpaw straightened up, her fox-like tail swinging from side to side. "We need to check on CliffClan."

"I don't think your mentor would like that." Ravenpaw muttered. Foxpaw's mentor, Talonclaw was strict and always kept an eye on her. Ravenpaw shivered at the thought of him being his mentor.

"Doesn't matter. He's not here now." Foxpaw stood up. "Come on!"

Ravenpaw scrambled to his feet. He ran beside Foxpaw. Ravenpaw's blood pounded on his ear as they ran to CliffClan territory, wind ruffled his fur and he began to pant. Ravenpaw ran faster as if a fox chased after him. They reached the border.

"Do you think we should enter?" Ravenpaw asked, his heart thumped loudly and river water began to flick into his ear.

Foxpaw seemed to hesitate. "Why don't we wait? The river is narrower and calmer over there so maybe they're okay." Ravenpaw nodded, the river did seem to flow gently as it ran through the mountain. Ravenpaw felt the ground harder here than before.

He felt Foxpaw beginning to turn back. Quickly, Ravenpaw casted a glance at the border, drinking the familiar scent. How did he smell now? Did his CliffClan scent wear off and overlap by the forest? He didn't want to know.

The two littermates padded through the forest, quiet.

Foxpaw raced over to her mentor when they had reached there. Ravenpaw began to pad to the medicine den when a cat meowed loudly.

"Ravenpaw come here!" It was Dovetuft.

Ravenpaw turned and padded over to the 'fresh-kill pile'. Dovetuft was sitting there with Riversplash and Lilyheart. Ravenpaw nodded his head to them, what did she want?

"Ravenpaw did you know I was your mother's mentor?" Dovetuft grunted as she sat up.

Ravenpaw flicked his tail. "You were?"

"Yes. She was." Lilyheart meowed, she licked her tongue drawing it over her ear.

He never knew this!

"And I was Foxclaw's mother." A voice appeared from behind. "I'm Goldentail. Foxclaw is your mother's mother as you know." Ravenpaw looked at Goldentail, her voice seemed raspy and dull. "Foxclaw had a brother named Flatwhisker. He was the father of Lilyheart and Smokeleg. But StarClan is cruel and killed them off, as well as Foxclaw's kits, Hopkit, and Mistleheart."

Ravenpaw felt his pelt pricked. Mistleheart! Ravenpaw did not know Foxclaw had a mother, though. The old she-cat's mews came out in raspy breaths of how StarClan was cruel to her. Ravenpaw felt his fur prick.

"Oh, don't listen to her, Ravenpaw." Riversplash mewed. "She still grieves for her lost loved ones. Like her mate, her kits and such."

Ravenpaw nodded. He knew that this old cat lost so much, and felt a pang of sympathy.

"Goldentail I'm telling you to move to the elders' den." A new voice meowed, Sunstar. Ravenpaw recognized the leader's scent. Ravenpaw knew that they were siblings, and that was it. Goldentail lifted her head.

"Why don't you, Sunstar?" Goldentail retorted. "I see gray hair on you too. And I can still mend patrols."

Sunstar shook her head. "I do it because I have no other choice." She argued.

Goldentail flicked her tail. "It's useless arguing, Sunstar, I am not giving up until I lose my last drop of blood."

Ravenpaw felt the old she-cat padding away. Sunstar sighed.

"My sister was always hard-headed." She admitted.

None of the cats responded. After a moment of silence, Ravenpaw padded away. Was he getting used to these cats? No! He couldn't, CliffClan would forever be his home. Ravenpaw felt his bones grow weary, surely Fernleaf wouldn't need him? He entered the den, Fernleaf muttering crossly as she sorted herbs.

Ravenpaw quietly padded to his nest, curling around and tucking his tail on his nose. He began snoring gently and only then Fernleaf noticed he was there.