01

Copyright © 2021 by charlizekkelly.

She hadn't always been this cold. This broken. This scarred. But, with the greatness that was destined for her, and her alone. It always came with consequences, with trauma and pain-a duo that came hand in hand.

A duo that she still couldn't shake, even after all these years. A harmless promise that she'd made as a child with her brother-a promise that both siblings had lived with their entire lives became something else entirely.

A vow-one that gave loyalty a whole other meaning than before because with life it formed, wove and came together.

But, with death it sealed, locked and set completely.

***

"Forever?" I asked as I extended my hand towards my brother, his platinum blonde hair brighter in the sunlight that streamed in through the opening of the brick wall.

A smile simply crossed his face as his grey eyes softened, "And always," He replied as he took my hand.

My thundery grey eyes darted from store to store as we began walking down the main street of Diagon Alley, my hand still clutching my brothers as I pulled him along behind me. The unrushed pace that he'd set for himself beginning to bother me, the hushed whispers and prolonged stares around us making my skin itch.

I'd forgotten how long it'd been since this world had seen us, the whispers that flitted past my ears making me wonder if this was what it was like for the boy who lived, the famous Harry Potter. A man many owed their lives to, our father, however, despite old feuds being forgiven had never truly recovered from the war. The black ink that remained etched into his forearm a constant reminder of who many had feared, our father included.

The slight squeeze upon my hand brought me out of my thoughts, my eyes locking with my brothers, "This way," He said, ignoring the looks that continued to be sent our way.

Brushing several stray pieces of my brown hair out of my face as he led us down various laneways, "How do you know where we're going?" I asked as I studied every little detail that passed by.

He simply turned his head towards me briefly with a smirk across his face before his grip upon my hand tightened as he led me further into various streets and laneways, "Scorpius," I said, huffing his name out in frustration.

His low chuckle filled the quiet lane that we'd turned down, "Elysian," He replied, mirroring the tone that I'd said his name in.

"You know for my brother, you sure are annoying," I muttered beneath my breath.

"Not just any brother," He stated matter of factly.

I rolled my eyes teasingly at him as I waited for him to say the next four words that always followed, "I'm your twin brother," He replied as he pulled me into Borgin and Burkes.

"Explain to me why we had to meet him here?" I asked as I looked over the large dimly lit shop, the large fireplace off to the right covered in a thick layer of dust.

I watched as he dragged his ivory finger along the front desk, various objects littered every surface within the shop. Every object within the shop was both unusual, ancient and powerful, the properties that each object wielded becoming more dangerous than the last. My eyes were drawn towards an opal necklace with a label that read, 'Do not touch! Cursed. Has claimed the lives of nineteen Muggleborns to date'.

I heard him sigh as his gaze drifted towards the front door, "Lysia, you know why."

I sighed in frustration as I dragged a hand through my hair, the silver snake glinting upon my hand in the dimness of the room, "Him and his paranoia," I stated blandly as I studied the silver ring on my hand, the silver pairing with my fair skin flawlessly. The simple black dress I wore along with my favourite pair of black vans brought the silver ring to your attention.