29

Listen to Iris by The Goo Goo Dolls for the full effect of the ball scene <3

***

"Do you even know what the dress code for this auction is?" I asked, breaking the silence that had settled within the penthouse over the past hour.

The sun had begun its descent across the sky. The once pale-blue sky now a mixture of soft pinks, yellows, oranges and blues as I turned to face Mattheo. His dark, softly curled hair tousled after the many times that he'd run his fingers through it. His head rested upon the back of the couch, his legs sprawled out in front of him as he took another long drag from the cigarette within his hand. Mattheo lifted his head to look at me. Exhaling the cigarette smoke from his mouth as that same unimpressed look spread across his face, the faintest wisps of smoke brushing against his cheekbones as it faded away to nothing.

"It's a masquerade-themed charity ball. All the money that they'll be making from the auction goes towards whatever charity they're supporting." Mattheo states, the hand that held the cigarette resting upon his knee.

A soft chuckle left my mouth as I tried to picture Mattheo at a charity ball. The persona that surrounded him making it impossible to believe that he'd ever go to one, willingly or not.

"You sure that's your scene, Riddle?"

He arched a single, dark eyebrow as he leant forward and put the cigarette out. The light grey ashes crumbling around the cigarette and into the silver ashtray.

"I could say the same thing about you, sweetheart."

"I should be able to find something in my bag that might be suitable for a ball." Seamlessly steering the conversation away from where I knew Mattheo would try to take it.

A smug smirk spread across Mattheo's face as he leant back into the white-leather couch. "Changing the subject again, are we?"

"Are you going to say that every time I do?"

"Are you going to keep changing the subject?" He retorts, a knowing look filling his eyes as he waits for my response.

I breathed out an exaggerated sigh as I ran my fingers through my hair. "There should be something you can wear in the wardrobe of the master bedroom," Mattheo uttered just as I was about to speak.

My eyebrows scrunched in confusion, slate-grey eyes studying his face intently before I spoke again, "You want me to wear one of your mother's dresses?"

"Someone may as well get use out of them." Mattheo muttered, off-handedly.

***

The soft tulle dress brushed against my tanned skin as I walked down the hallway. The small rose gold sequins that covered the dress glittering in the soft light. The long a-line of the bodice and the spaghetti straps of the dress left little coverage of the slowly, fading scar across my collarbone. I hadn't bothered to cover it up, deciding that like my makeup, I'd keep it natural. The nude heels that I wore were hidden completely by the skirt, occasionally, peeking out from beneath the dress whenever I walked.

The sun had set and in its place, stars peeked out from the inky blackness of the sky. My eyes locked with the small flecks of light glinting within the sky even as the city down belows lights fought to drown them out. The large floor to ceiling windows that covered the majority of the room allowed me to see the sky in all its nighttime glory. The dark-haired man that sat upon the white-leather couches pushed to the back of my mind as I soaked in the simplicity of the view-the beauty of the view. I reluctantly tore my eyes from the starry sky and turned to face Mattheo, his dark eyes already ensnared upon me.