Chapter 30

Niall could feel the moment it happened. 

Evalin was back, somehow. Miraculously. 

He smiled and dove down into the chaos, trying to reach the dome that had gone up in flames. 

.........

Evalin and Mave dueled with their powers, back and forth. 

A fire queen and a death angel, face to face again. 

But, as usual, Maeve overestimated her own powers. When she let up, the fire came at her in a flood. She screeched and put her wall back up. 

Evalin smirked as she looked into the now burned face of the monster. 

"You should learn to stay dead." 

Maeve laughed as she held her face. "Not until every drop of Galathynius blood has been shed." 

Then Evalin got the idea. She began to attack quicker. Maeve began to back up. Right towards the cauldron. 

"Well, then," Evalin answered. "I guess I'll see you in Hel." And with that, she sent her fire scorching toward the face of the demon. 

Maeve fell back into the cauldron, screaming as she went. 

.............

The dome fell as Niall reached it. He ran the lone figure standing. 

Evalin was shaking, and he reached her just in time to catch her as she fell. 

"Evalin? Cauldron, you're ok. You're actually ok," he whispered, holding her to him. 

She hugged him like he was the only thing left in the world. She froze wehn she looked over her shoulder, though. 

Evalin scrambled up as she let out a gasp, running over to the two bodies on the ground a short distance away. 

"No," She whispered.

Her mother let out a shuddering breath. 

"It's ok," she managed to get out. "It was time. We loved you so mu-" She was interrupted by violent coughing. A tear escaped her eye. "I don't know everything, but I do know you belong wherever you choose to be. I'll be proud of you no matter what." 

"Mom, No. Don't leave me," Evalin said through her tears. "I can fix this. Do what you did before. Anyth-" 

She was interrupted though. 

"My time is up. It's your turn to lead. Even if I could, I wouldn't go back without my mate." She looked toward Rowan, lying next to her. "You'll understand one day, why I need him." 

Evalin looked up at Niall, standing where she left him. Waiting for her. 

"I think I already do." She whispered. 

Aelin gave her one last smile. "Rattle the stars." 

..............

The queen of Terrasen looked beautiful even in death. She was in her old coronation down, holding a red rose in her hands. 

Her husband at her side, the final words were said over their bodies. 

Then, the torches were lit, and they were surrounded by the fire.

The queen of Terrasen, consumed by the very thing she controlled, as her friends, family, and subjects watched. 

As the fire burned higher, Evalin turned away. She couldn't watch any longer. 

She walked back towards the castle, Niall following her. 

"Is there anything I can do?" He asked, keeping his distance. There had been no chance to talk in the two days since the battle. 

"Just you being here helps." She replied. Then, she turned and hugged him, catching him off guard. 

"What now?"

She sighed, turning to look back at the funeral. 

"Now I decide a few things. If I'm staying here or going back to Prythian. If I can actually get over everything else that happened. 

"But some of that depends on what you want." 

............

I will honestly say, I almost cried writing this chapter. Obviously, if you can't tell, the book's almost over. I'll probably write the rest of it all in one night, then post one or two chapters a day. Unless you'd prefer me to post them all at once. Thank you for reading.