Chapter 10

Warning: Things may get a little spiritual, so if you can't or don't want to read that, you might want to stop reading. 

"The problem is, witch," the last fae king said, "is that these are odd times. I'm sure you've heard of the trials?" 

"Briefly."

He nodded. "But what you don't know is that when found to be a witch, the women are brought to me. They expect me to hang them, but I can't do that to innocents." 

"What does this have to do with your so-called curse? Honestly, I just want to go home." Sorscha said, rolling her eyes. 

"That's the thing." The king hesitated. "I've acquired a young woman who isn't... supposed to be here." 

"And?" she prompted. 

"She's from a different time, like you. She must have been under the protection of something very powerful, because in keeping her here, I am now cursed."

"Well, by all means, let me meet this woman." 

"Her name is... Nehemia Ytger." 

Sorscha stopped in her tracks. "What did you just say?" 

.........................

The rescue had gone as planned. In and out, no problem. 

Except that the was drugged and had been unconscious for days. 

It probably had something to do with the iron bracelet. It was keeping her fae healing at bay. 

They didn't know how hurt she was. Physically, she was almost completely healthy. But there was a strong block on her mind. Even Niall's parent's couldn't get through. Same with the girl's friend. 

Their blocks were made of the same thing, a raging wall of fire. It was made by a protector, someone so powerful and important they could shield other's minds permanently. 

Protectors were usually hired by High Lords to protect their children from enemy daemati. Only three were known in the world today. 

The protectors each had a distinguishing factor about their shields, though. Water, light, and the most powerful, one that could only be described as nothing. You couldn't even see that one until it trapped you. 

But this was fire. Which meant there was another protector out there, and these young women were very important. 

Elena, the one that smelled of iron and power, wouldn't talk. She sat by the bedside of her friend day and night. 

She was free to leave, but had only gone out once in the last ten days. She'd come back smelling of animal's blood. 

The other, they said her name was Nehemia, smelled of pine, crackling embers, and jasmine. 

There was something off about them. Like two puzzle pieces in the wrong box. They didn't belong here. 

.....................

"Sam Cortland. I feel like I've heard that name before." Cal was still wary. 

Sam nodded. "I probably have. I lived a long time ago."

"What do you mean you lived a long time ago? You're living right now." If this was a phsyco like he seemed to be, then no help would come. 

"No, in reality, I was dead. I am supposed to be dead. As well as some friends of mine. we've been sent back, not without consequences, because of a glitch."

"I don't know what a glitch is, but if you're dead, why am I still talking to you?" 

Sam shook his head. "I'm not dead now. Sorry for my use of words. There's been an imbalance, now that the gods of your world are dead. Every world needs an upper being they believe in, or everything falls apart."

Cal was never good in school. "I thought Aelin Galathynius was our goddess now."

A look of pain flashed over Sam's face with the name. "She's not allowed to take up the true goddess position until she dies. And in your world, with the magic, one god isn't enough. This leaves everything in disrepair." 

"And what am I to do about it?" 

Sam stood. A war of sorts is coming. Everything will be clear after that. But first, you need to bring me through the portal and into Prythian. That's were we're to meet."

"So you want me to jump out a window with you just because you told me to?" Cal asked, suspicious. 

"Pretty much." 

"Fine. Not like I know what's happening here anyway. Maybe I'm dreaming." Cal stepped to the window, and without giving it a second thought, the two jumped.

......

I hope this chapter was ok. I'm sorry I haven't written in a while. I probably won't until at least Monday, because I have a trip to go on, but if I have time, it may be sooner. Thank you for your patience with my random updates. If it wasn't clear, Niall is the son of Feysand.