Chapter 23

Video for Rowaelin scene. 

The weeks that followed made Elenthyia feel like her life was going in circles. Darkness, depression, emptiness. 

No one came for her. She spent every day being dressed in a dress that barely covered her and brought to the feasts to be used by anyone there. 

Maeve, or Cencenda, as she now went by, called every night to be immediately told if anyone was looking for her prisoner.

No news ever came. 

She was alone. 

"Arobynn, darling, fetch the child in the corner over there. I have some news for her," this order came from The Queen Under the Mountain herself. 

The King of Assassins roughly grabbed her arm, messing up the decorative paint she was covered in every night. 

"Elentyia was it? Elentyia Ashryver  Whitethorn Galathynius. Quite the name there. Not the full thing, even. How could you possibly be tied to so many of my failures? It was destined that it all end with you. I see that now." 

It all end with you

So they planned to finally be rid of her. It was for the better. 

"But, before that, it's time for the news. My soldiers, camped outside the night court right now, have just slayed your cousin. The one I've been told was very important to you." 

........

Aelin felt the tear leaving a trail down her cheek. She looked upon her second child. 

"Orion Rhoe Ashryer Whitethorn Galathynius, the son of the two most powerful fae in the world, and the Crown Prince of Terrasen, you will watch the world burn as you save it." 

She turned to her husband. "You and I know this to be true, and soon, our daughter will have grown up enough to know it. She's so close now, Rowan, and I'm scared. I'm scared to step back, but I know i must." 

He pulls her to him, adn his strong arms make her feel better. 

"We'll be leaving together, as we planned. It's all we wanted in the end. You've wanted to step back since Celana lived. Evalin is capable."

"Since Celaena," She whispered. "She's back, you know. And it's good, because I'll need everything I know for the final battle." 

............

Niall had searched day and night since they'd taken her. He hadn't seen home in weeks, since he realized why it was such a bad thing she was gone. Why it mattered so much tpo him. And now, he was dying inside for not noticing it sooner. The reason she orten avoided his eyes. 

He flew day and night, stopping to eat and drink only because her cousin, Gavrien Ashryver, travelled with him. 

Evalin. His mate. And he would tear apart the whole world as he had already done with the Spring Court to find her.

Ansd then he'd return home to destroy the armies that lay seige to his own court.

Sometimes, he thought he felt her throught the bond, but it rarely happened, and only for a few seconds. One such instance finally ended his search. 

She sent him two sentences. 

In the armies outside the night court, I await a good chance to break out, and I will refuse any outside help, so don't come. There are things we both must deal with before finding each other.