Chapter 8

His domain was a fortress underground. 

This was indeed the last time a Fae would walk the earth in full glory. 

Sorscha was escorted in by two guards. They had the immortal stillness of a Fae, but in all other ways they were different. 

It was sad. The former wealth and power of kings and queens, come to this. The sad being before her. 

The last true Fae looked terrible. There were dark circles under his eyes. He was so skinny Sorscha could see the bones in his arms and face. 

"I'm dying already, and the villagers think to send an assassin? And such a young one? Idiots." 

His voice itself was weary. What being deserved this? 

"Child, get on with it. How do you plan to kill me?" He gestured to her. 

"I'm not here to kill you, sir. I am a witch from the olden days, and I've traveled through time to help you. To restore power to the Fae line. At least a little longer."

His laugh was weak. "You? Help me? A witch from old times? You know nothing of the old times. To you, witches are a thing to be feared and killed, something magical. Witches are terrors. Come back when you can tell me the history of those nasty creatures."

Sorscha scoffed. "Tell you the history? The history? Oh, let's see, what about when my mother claimed her right as the Crochan Queen? When eleven brave witches sacrificed their lives for my family, flower bloomed and dead land sighed. I am well versed in the history of my land. The battle that raged for three days. Do you know of this better than I do? No. I am Sorscha Havilliard Blackbeak-Crochan, and you will listen to me."

The people in the hall were still. 

"You- you are the great Sorscha Crochan? You did great things. Fought great battles on behalf of the worlds. I am so sorry. Please, forgive me, your majesty, for my insolence. I have been locked away for so long. I did not believe." The man trembled. 

"Stand up straight. You have the blood of royals in you. Do not cower, do not apologize ever again. Is this what I have to work with? 

"Your ancestors are Whitethorns. I have a lot of work to do." 

..............

Tallest building in the city. 

Not too complicated. Cal found it immediately. 

"Excuse me, ma'am," he addressed the woman behind the desk. "How tall is this building?" 

"It's 99 stories, sir. There's an elevator right over there." She pointed behind him. He nodded and walked away. 

Stories and elevator. What the hell was a story? Books? Did they measure the buildings like that? That's not very tall. Elevator? The wanderer man had said something about it, but it didn't make sense. 

Take the stairs. 

Yes, they were right there. All that way to the top? Shouldn't take too long.

Cal began his ascent. 

Two hours later, he reached the end of the stairs. 

100th floor   the sign said. 

There was one door, right where the stairs ended. There were abbreviations labeling it. H.N. Whatever that stood for. 

When Cal opened the door, the room was empty except for a man standing there. In a blue suit. 

"Hello, I've been waiting for you for 20 years." He said. 

Don't let him talk to you. That's how they get you. 

But Cal couldn't move. 

The man turned around. His dark hair and brown eyes contrasted with the pale white of his skin. Deathly pale. He smiled. 

"My name's Sam. You must be Cal." 

Cal nodded. 

"You came here to kill me. The wanderer assumes he's right because they're never wrong. But, did you know, before time began, there was only two times a wanderer was ever meant to be wrong? One of those times came earlier today.

"But where are my manners?" A table appeared. "Have a seat. We'll talk."

Cal didn't have a choice. His body moved without his consent. 

Sam took a seat across from him. 

"I'm sure you don't know me, but I know your aunt. I can't tell you everything. My full name is Sam Cortland, and I've come back against my will."

...................

 Sorrel had traveled for days and days. Finally, Velaris, the city of starlight, was before her. 

It was as beautiful as Aelin claimed it to be. 

She could sense the complicated wards around it. She stepped across them and triggered the alarms on purpose. 

Less than a minute later, a net descended on her. And shapes appeared from the trees around her. 

"I come to speak to the High Lord and Lady. I mean no harm." She said, keeping her hands up. 

Not long later, she was sitting shackled in an empty room. 

The Lord and Lady walked in. It was easy to tell who they were, by the power radiating off them. 

"You wanted to speak to us?" The male spoke. 

"Yes, there's a young lady being held captive in the Spring Court. She's my friend. I can't help her out alone. I came to you, like my mentor always told me to do if I was in trouble." 

"What's your name?" The lady asked, something flashing in her eyes at the mention of captive in the Spring Court. 

"Elena," She replied. The wanderer told her not to trust them, she wouldn't be trusting them. 

"Elena, you don't smell human. What are you?" The male asked. 

"My ancestors were Fae, though I didn't get any of their powers." Not technically a lie. 

"We'll help your friend," the female said gently. "And you as well." 

...............

Some old people are back. Specifically Sam Cortland is alive? What? 

Hope you enjoyed. Was lying the right decision for Sorrel? Is Elentyia still sane?