Chapter 4

(Chapter song is everything I wanted by Billie Eilish)

GENS POV (8 months ago)

Working with the league was better now that I was working with someone like me. It's been weird, Cole reminds me so much of Liam, but he isn't him. I need to keep that in mind. He isn't Liam. Stop trying to find Liam in him.

We get into fights regularly on stupid things. Mostly about Liam. . .but that's not the point. Me and him have gotten really close over the last 3 months.

I'm not sure if I'm close to him because of Liam, or if we really do get along. I'm hoping it's the latter. We do training regularly with my group. They don't ask questions because as far as they know, it's just because Cole is a really good agent.

Jude, Nico, and vida don't know about Cole and it's supposed to stay that way. He has kept it secret from everyone and for me? I was just pure accident. They weren't going to put me with him in the first place.

The only reason they put me with him is because a- all the other reds were originally in project jamboree and were practically insane, b- I found out about his powers when he used them to protect himself, and c- after I found out, they thought he was the only person really capable of handling me at the moment.

I wasn't exactly easy to handle and I don't blame them. I told myself I would only help their cause if I agreed with it, and so far they have respected that. I told Alban, their leader, that and he said he understood. He didn't want to go against my moral rules. I knew that was a lie, lots of kids here I 'knew' hated killing people, but they did it anyways.

Of course they still gave me the training to kill someone and stuff like that, they had too, but they said they haven't ever force me to kill someone, yet. The training is "just for my protection" as Alban told me.

I understood very quickly on my own why Liam hated this place. We never got a break. They taught us to kill, and fight like non other. It was like I was at a camp all over again. Only a few exceptions.

It was vidas birthday last month and we celebrated, but she didn't get the day off. When I asked her if she just didn't take it off she said and I quote, "no silly, we don't get our birthdays off. Trust me I would if I had the option." I was shocked.

They really wouldn't let her take the day off. I had to confirm it so I asked cate. She said no one gets their birthdays off. I hated that. And of course, just my luck, my birthday was today, and I had the worst day.

No one knew it was my birthday, even though I have talked about it for like a week. I expected cate to know, but nothing. I was so excited for my 17th and no one even knew.

Of course the instructor we had today made the set extra hard because they were in a bad mood. We had to run extra laps. Fight extra. Stay after and clean, instead of them.

When I got back to our room after dinner Cole wasn't there. I didn't think he would come back so I sat on the edge of the bed and cried. Somewhere through my breakdown I lost balance and fell to the ground.

I just curled up into a ball and cried. After a while when their were no tears I just sat their. Slowly rocking myself back and forth. I sat their quietly contemplating on wether I should or shouldn't sing myself happy birthday.

Just as I was about to the door opened and walked in Cole. He saw me on the floor and immediately was at my side.

"Hey...what's wrong?" He asked me and I didn't answer him. He forgot too. Out of all people I expected him to remember, but no. He was just as thick headed as the rest of them. To focused on themselves.