Library AU

You let out a long sigh as you push a cart loaded with books along the library shelves. You blow some dust off of a book as you move to set it back on the bookshelf. You push the cart a little further, putting a few more books away. Your eyes fall on the window as you take in the cloudy weather outside.

You applied to work as the librarian's assistant, thinking that you wouldn't actually receive the job. You were dead wrong as you were hired the second you showed up for the interview. Thankfully, the job is an easy one and you don't deal with too many customers. The librarian is a quiet old lady, who can get a little testy, but otherwise, she's been nothing but kind to you. She usually only gives you smaller tasks to take care of, such as putting away books or dusting off the shelves.

You're familiar with most of the regular customers, as they're mostly older women. Although, one customer comes here very frequently and you have yet to speak with him for longer than a few minutes. He seems to be a very reserved man, however, he's still friendly towards you. He always comes here alone and sits at a table near the window, sipping coffee while reading. Only recently have you learned his name.

"Good morning, Kurapika!" You greet him with a smile as you approach his usual table, "How are you doing today?"

He glances up from his book momentarily before returning to reading, "Hello, (Y/N). I'm doing fine. Nothing special to speak of. How are you today?"

"Just a little bored. Sometimes I wish we got more customers," You explain to him as you lean against the table, "There's not much to do around here."

"I'm sorry to hear that. It seems as if you keep the library very organized," Kurapika says, his expression unchanged as his eyes are glued to his book.

You can't help but smile at his vague compliment, "Thank you. I just wish I could talk about actual books with someone."

"I am certain that I have seen you talking about various books with several other customers."

"Yeah, cheesy romance novels," You say with a sigh, "That's the only thing they read."

He turns a page in his book as he asks you, "Do you not like them?"

You shake your head in response, "I like fantasy and mystery better. Whenever I recommend books like that they just give me a weird look."

"Is that so?" His gaze falls on you again, a small smile on his face, "I happen to like the same genre of books, therefore, you are more than welcome to recommend books to me."

"Really??" You're beaming now, leaving Kurapika taken back by how genuinely happy you seem, "I can make you a list if you want!"

"I would appreciate that."

"Okay! Let me just find a pen and a piece of paper!" You scramble to grab a pen and a sheet of printer paper from the librarian's desk before hurrying back to Kurapika and sitting down beside him, "Is there any authors you don't like?"

Kurapika sets his bookmark in his book, afterward, he closes it and sets it down on the table. He turns to you with a small smile as you discuss different novels with him. You only realize you've been talking with for so long until you notice the darkened sky outside. The list you've given him has at least fifteen different novels on it.

"Thank you for your recommendations, (Y/N). I plan to start going through this list as soon as I finish this novel," He gestures to the hardcover book on the table, "However, I should be going now."

"Yeah, the library closes in about ten minutes anyway," You mention to him after catching a glimpse of the clock hanging on the wall, "I'm sorry if I kept you for too long."