Chapter 2

The little boy on the Ark no longer exists. 

As far as Ethan's aware, he became the person he wanted to be as soon as he touched the ground. For the first time in years, he doesn't feel the urge to pretend. 

Because the hundred, these delinquents? Nobody gives a shit about the rules. Nobody's bending to the will of the privileged.

This here - this is for them.

Chaos has already made its way through the widening cracks. Open intimacy, raging fights and gathered cliques. Not particularly in that order. The usual mayhem, but with the added freedom of not getting caught.

If Ethan closes his eyes, he can pretend that the Earth, without the council's hidden intentions, is his gift. Spending his birthday on the ground, he never would have imagined.

He glances away from the dirt castle - obsessed with the feel of soft and pliable soil -  and spots Wells clutching onto a joyful Jasper - this is a good example of the three beginnings - in front of the dropship. The kid with the goggles doesn't move to escalate, because Murphy and his crew of misfits are already doing it for him. He hears "Hands off of him. He's with us." and isn't surprised. There were only a few people Murphy tolerated, and Ethan thinks he steps in because he owes Jasper.

Wells lets the kid go, looking resigned when he sees how many people are sending daggers at him.

"Relax. We're just trying to find out where we are."

Bellamy pulls around the dropship with his sister, but he hangs back to gouge out the situation, "We're on the ground. That not good enough for you?"

Ethan's still sitting, back against bark under the shade of luscious green leaves, "Not to mention we're alive. I can't think of a better reason to celebrate."

"I get that, but we need to find Mount Weather." Wells sighs, twisting towards Bellamy. Clarke moves to follow. "You heard my father's message. That's our first priority."

Ethan stands, brushing the dirt off his knees. "Chancellor this, Chancellor that. You should keep his name out of your mouth around the people he put in the SkyBox." He says as he passes between the three groups. Then, "Otherwise people are gonna start seeing you as the next Jaha."

Murphy's eyes land on Ethan. He leans casually against his lackeys, Mbege standing undeterred by his side. "It's a little late for that now."

Ethan smiles smugly at the agreement, but before long he's accidentally slipping into the crowd gathering to watch the show.

Colour in the shrubbery pulls him away. He shrugs and escapes the safety of the clearing to follow. 

There's an abundance of free space on Earth, not a surprising discovery but an awed one. Having no walls at every turn is a blessing. He can finally breathe.

The colour he's been drawn to like a moth to a flame - it's purple. A flower so vibrant Ethan stares for a good two minutes, comparing it to the colour of his clothes. Grey shirt, black pants. 

He discovers water just laying around like it's not a scarce resource, and then he realises it's not. Not any more. He guiltily kicks his boots in the puddles. And at some point, watches a lone butterfly flutter over his head.

Any sort of peace was disturbed as soon as Wells stumbled into sight.

Nonchalantly picking at the leaves hanging from a low tree, Ethan side-eyes him, "Didn't get your ass kicked?"

"No." 

Wells has logs and sticks gathered in his arms, and it's not hard to realize he's gathering wood for a fire.