Chapter 105

Harley shushes them, suddenly, and both boys duck in response to him lifting his gun.

There stands a group of four guards up ahead. Ethan can't see past their legs to recognize the prisoners knelt on the concrete, but he does notice the gleaming Ark crest on the soldier's jackets, and from that, it's clear that ALIE's in control.

They sneak closer, hiding in the shadows.

"She wants Bellamy." One guard says.

Ethan's eyes widen and then squint a second later like it'll help him see in the dark. It's them. Bellamy, Nathan, Bryan, and Octavia. The remainder of their delinquent group - Clarke, Jasper, Monty, and Harper - are nowhere to be seen. Perhaps they had found Luna and this was just a distraction?

"Where are you taking him?!" Octavia protests, getting a kick to the stomach for her outburst. 

Jaw tight, Ethan glances impatiently at Harley for the go-ahead. He knows better than to rush into the situation without a plan.

"It's okay, O." Bellamy reassures. He's lifted by the arms and hauled deeper into the tunnel. Deeper, as in toward them.

Harley makes a few hand gestures, and Ethan mouths an exasperated what? in reply. Much better at following physical examples, Murphy nods, dragging a confused Ethan along with him.

The only thing they have over ALIE's subordinates is the element of surprise.

"If I were you, I'd hit the deck." Murphy's voice echoes.

Bellamy's head snaps up. Following his captor's flashlight, he sees them. Ethan and Murphy, standing in the range of fire with no weapon of their own in sight, lit up only by the torch shone their way.

He takes their word for it, though, yanking himself free and dropping to the concrete with a grunt. "Hit the ground!"

Indra and Harley escape the shadows with their guns at chest height, bullets spraying at the enemy in a flashy show of light.

Ethan grimaces, "Phew," His eyes re-adjust to the darkness of the tunnel. "That was a light show." He sniffs, clapping Murphy on the back.

"Fancy meeting you here." Murphy saunters over, smirking down at Bellamy. They keep narrowed eye contact until he passes over him and heads for Miller.

"Nathan," Murphy sounds bored, crouching down in front of the boy. "You've looked better."

"You haven't." Miller retorts with a hint of a smile on his bloody face. He accepts Murphy's help onto his feet.

Pettily, Ethan also walks past a now-standing Bellamy in order to help Bryan and Octavia up, cutting their ties as he goes.

"Does Clarke have Luna?" He has to ask, helping her stand.

Octavia covers his hand with her own and shakes her head. "She didn't want the Flame. Any chance we had at convincing her died when ALIE found us." She looks dejected, "I can't blame her. We ruined a perfectly good place."

Ethan palms at his eyes, "Then what the hell are we supposed to do now?"

"Ontari."

"Isn't she the one we were trying to keep the Flame away from?"

Octavia sighs, "She's also the only way we're going to stop ALIE."

"Yeah. Deal with one threat and move on to the next." Ethan drags a hand down his face. It's strange to have so many problems they have to sort them by priority.

Harley passes Octavia some water and gives them a quick rundown, all while pulling bandages out from Ethan's bag. "We tried intercepting ALIE from here."