Chapter 53

"Clarke's awake. She says she's fine." Ethan swaggers down the dropship door onto the Earth. "Probably has a nasty headache though."

Murphy glances over, him and Bellamy stuck hiding behind boulders to keep their eyes on the horizon. He nods, acknowledging Ethan.

Bellamy curses, "We got company!"

Instinctively, Ethan ducks. Sliding down the rest of the way to join Murphy, he curls his fingers protectively around the handle of his blade.

Finn, Raven and Clarke rush past the curtain, looking startled.

Ethan waves them closer, "Get down." He breathes sharply against the stone, eyeing the trees. "Grounders."

Prepared for danger, they hide quickly, Clarke darting towards Bellamy to see what he was seeing.

"We're surrounded," She whispers.

Ethan groans, moving onto his feet in a low crouch. He tugs on Murphy's jacket until he follows. "It's safer in the dropship." He calls out.

The others are close behind.

There's no way in hell they defeat the troop sent to find Finn. Six to what, a hundred?

Bellamy and Murphy peak out on either side of the curtain.

Ethan hears "they're not moving any closer." And whistles his relief.

"They're staying out of range. Waiting until it's dark." Bellamy guesses, ducking back inside. Murphy follows, gun in hand. Clarke worries her lip between her teeth, glancing at Finn.

"If we hit them now we can take them by surprise."

Ethan shakes his head at Murphy's suggestion, pacing in front of him, "All hundred of them? Nah, we take a step out there and we get speared. Plus, this whole thing-" He waves his hand in no general direction, "-started because they wanted payback, killing more of them will only dig us in a deeper hole."

Murphy cocks his head in reluctant agreement. He reaches out and stops Ethan on his next round of pacing, snatching his arm.

"Okay," the blonde huffs, taking the hint.

Raven whips around, hands fisted, "We'll give them something."

"All they want is Finn." Bellamy shakes his head.

"Finn wasn't the only one at the village."

Murphy lifts his head, wider eyes flicking towards her. His hand slips from Ethan's arm.

"What are you talking about?" Clarke shakes her head, the confusion evident.

Ethan scoffs, "Are you fucking serious, Reyes?" He glances at Murphy. "I didn't bring him here for you to send in Finn's place."

Catching on, Murphy holds out a placating hand, "Woah, woah. Raven, I came here to protect Finn."

Raven's eyes harden by the second, sending a glare towards Ethan, "You're lucky you brought him. I was going for you."

Ethan's chest stutters, pressing his mouth shut.

What?

"But this works a lot better. Enough grounders saw Murphy at the village. They'd think he was the shooter."

Taking a shuddering breath to come back to himself, Ethan reverts to anger, "This is insane. What the fuck are you on?" He widens his stance, throwing his arms out towards the others, "The Commander knows Finn was the shooter."

Murphy swallows. He's hanging back lightly on one foot, prepared to take off.

"They could take Murphy in his place!" Raven shouts, breathing hard.