Chapter 88

"I thought you'd be happy for me," Raven says from the medbay's stretcher, eyes empty of any sort of frustration they all know Raven to have

Acting scarily similar to how Otan was on the island had Ethan watching from the doorway, arms crossed and his shoulder pressed to the wall, ready to jump in if ALIE ever broke her way through.

Abby smiles, huffs a laugh, "I am." She glances, very briefly at Ethan when she says, "It's just unusual for pain to subside this quickly."

Ethan fiddles with the equipment on a medical tray nearby while he waits, knows that Raven won't spare him another glance but -

she stops on the way out, practically glowing when she sees him. "Hey, Ethan! You're alive." She pats him on the arm.

Absolutely dumbfounded, jaw slack, he stumbles over a reply. "Y-Yep, sure am."

"You cut your hair."

"I didn't." He says, sharply, brows furrowed.

Raven doesn't even frown, just shrugs and walks past him. "Thanks, Doc." She calls out before she leaves.

Stunned, Ethan watches until she's out of sight, and turns back to Abby with parted lips. Eventually, he just shakes his head and doesn't bother commenting on it. Waltzing further into the room to study the set-up - much larger than the tent they used to have - he flicks his chin up at Abby, waiting for her to start.

He wishes to get it over and done with as quickly as possible. Find the others before something else inadvertently gets in his way. Again.

"I believe we have a lot to talk about." She starts.

Ethan's shoulders dip by an inch, the pressure of starting the conversation now off his mind. "Ask away." He says, pulling himself up onto one of the tables.

Abby comes closer, looking him up and down in a way that has him itching to take a break for the door. "First, I'd like to check you over-"

"I came here to answer your questions, not get an examination." He cuts her off sternly, feeling the urge to shrink into himself, "I'm fine." 

"I beg to differ after seeing you limping through the halls."

Ethan twists his fingers together, "Haven't been up and around lately, that's all."

Abby has a small degree of power in Arkadia, just like Pike does. And while he knows she's on his side, he hasn't been in Arkadia long enough to see just how much people have changed. How much they're capable of.

The adults he knew always seem to fail him, what makes Abby and Kane so different?

That trust needs to be regained before anybody starts doing anything to him.

"I'm your Doctor, Ethan, and I'm-"

"Abby." Ethan warns, clipped.

It seems to have done the trick. She purses her lips, stares him down for another moment and then sighs. To keep away prying eyes and ears, she heads for the door and starts to push it shut -