Chapter 56

Clarke pushes through the door as if it weighs like paper, passing her mother with a bold, head held high stride. Ethan shoves the door back open after her, reassuring Abby with a nod. He sees Raven, suffering, tied to a post like Finn was and feels abruptly stuck. Just like that night, trapped in his own head while his friend dies ruthlessly before his eyes, distracting himself only by the chatter of John Murphy hours after the tragedy. He could use the boy's wit right about now, but clenches his jaw and moves on, standing tall by Clarke's side.

"Stop," Bellamy's hand misses Ethan's arm by a seconds gap, "What are you doing? You'll get yourself killed." He's worried, trying to avoid seeing his friends as the next Raven or Finn.

Clarke ignores him in turn to retrieve Nyko.

Ethan smacks the chalice against Bellamy's chest until the brunette takes it in his hands. He tries to follow Clarke but Bellamy isn't satisfied with his explanation and tugs him back, "Ethan?"

"The toxin wasn't in the bottle." He says, glancing pointedly at the cup.

Bellamy's eyes widen, fingers latching onto Ethan's jaw to search his face. "You drank it?" He almost hisses.

"I'm fine. It was clean."

"What if it wasn't?" Bellamy swallows hard. "These people wouldn't have helped you."

Ethan glances down at the hand, bites his tongue and tugs away to avoid the intense eye contact. "I was seventy per cent sure it was only in Lexa's cup. It helped, didn't it?" He shrugs his arms.

"William thought he was helping when he went down that cliff for Mel."

"That's different."

Bellamy lifts a brow, "How?"

Stuttering, Ethan vaguely waves in the direction of the torture, "It just is."

"Just," Bellamy sighs, slapping a hand against the boy's arm, "Tell us next time you plan on putting your life in harm's way."

"Got it." Ethan rolls his eyes.

Clarke stops in the doorway to where Nyko is waiting, "I need that bottle now," She demands. 

Nyko nods, rushing back inside to retrieve it just as they stop before the crowd torturing Raven, a cut for each furious, unforgiving grounder.

"Stop."

The Commander slowly turns around, a sigh in her voice, "Let them pass."

Clarke's steps are strong and sturdy, nothing like how she was acting earlier. She stops in front of Lexa, head held high. "One of your people tried to kill you, Lexa, not one of mine."

Indra grits her teeth, pulling around to be seen. "You should have run."

Clarke looks away from her, gesturing towards Ethan. "He drank from the cup."

"The whole thing." He lifts the chalice back to his lips, making a show of taking in the last few drops and sends them a crooked smile, "So if Clarke's drink wasn't tampered with, then the poison didn't come from the bottle. Did it?"

"And I can prove it."

Nyko passes Clarke the gifted alcohol.

She uncaps it without a second thought and downs a few mouthfuls.

As expected, nothing happens.

Lexa narrows her eyes. The warrior behind her, Gustus, who just so happens to be as good as new in barely a few hours, whispers to her in their native tongue.

Bellamy tilts his head, eyes darting from the ground to look at the man. "It was you." His lips curl furiously, taking a heavy step forward, "He tested the cup, he searched Raven."