Chapter 33

The doors slide open just when Ethan's starting to hope for a wink of sleep, just a little bit, just a minute. It's the first time in two days that he's even tried to get some shut-eye. Why not make it a third night, right?

It was a struggle to sleep in the first place, Murphy's eyes burning through him every time he shifted into a better position. 

The betrayal, however, still sits like a fire in his chest, so Ethan never looked to find out why.

Bellamy on the other hand has remained as still as ever, not willing to take his eyes off either of them. Taking up his position as leader in the small room, listening to every thump Ethan's head makes when it tips back to hit the wall - jolting himself awake every time - and keeping an eye on Murphy, just in case.

Ethan flinches with the woosh of the door, knocking his head hard into the pole he's chained to - for the sixth time that hour.

But it's just Finn and Monroe, their bags packed and plan made. Ethan cocks a brow when the former drops to a knee, pulling a pair of bolt cutters out to show Bellamy. "Get up, we're leaving."

Ethan whistles, squinting tired eyes. "Nice."

"It's about time." Bellamy pulls his hands free, shaking them out as he stands.

He jogs over to cut Ethan free next, helping him to his feet. Ethan winces, stretching to his full height.

Finn heads for the exit.

He doesn't set Murphy loose.

"Hey, woah, wait! What about me?" Murphy yells, eyes wide.

Ethan holds his hand out for the bolt cutters, but Finn shakes his head. "Dude, come on. He'll snitch." He tries.

It's Bellamy who takes the tool forcefully from Finn, moving over to Murphy's cowering position, who flinches when he sees the weapon.

Ethan instinctively blocks Bellamy's advance, shoving a hand against his chest. He doesn't know why he's jumping to Murphy's defence, but, "Bellamy, wait- You can't just-"

Bellamy rolls his eyes and leans around Ethan, free to reach out to Murphy and -

- cut his ties.

Ethan's jaw goes slack, "Oh."

"He's coming with us."

Even Murphy looks at Bellamy in surprise, peeking around his tied hands with a frown.

"No way." Finn shakes his head, stepping forward to intercept.

But Bellamy's already pulling Murphy up by his jacket, "He knows about the grounder camp."

"He's right. Okay? I can take you there." Murphy begs, curling into himself and back into Bellamy.

Ethan splays a placating hand out towards Finn to stop him from getting closer, "And if we leave him here he'll probably tell Kane everything he knows. Things we don't want him to know." He says, mildly reaching.