Chapter 103

Murphy doesn't let go of him until they reach the room harboring ALIE's backpack. It's not something Ethan would like to remember, but it's clear as day the same bag Murphy tossed into the lake when they stole Jaha's boat and escaped.

Everything that happened after he and Murphy got separated is still a sore subject, and he hopes this is their last touching reunion for a long, long time.

Harley swiftly knocks out the two unsuspecting guards taking point in the room - refusing to let Pike take charge and murder them - while Ethan's eyes find the glowing chip in the center of a corded console.

His brows furrow. Behind the bag; a large, metal contraption. Space tech, likely one of their escape pods, how the hell did it end up here?

Sometimes, it's best not to ask the questions he won't get an answer for.

Lit candles cascade warm light across the walls, and illuminate a story sketched in chalk. Blood marks the floors underneath his shoes and -

"Ethan!"

He spins around, spear aligned with his forearm, but doesn't raise it. There's a body in the shadowed corner of the room, coming out with her hands up. He gives a relieved smile, "Emori!"

"You're back," With a breathless grin, Emori saunters forward.

But Murphy catches Ethan's arm and drags him back with a distinct frown. They share a look.

"ALIE?"

Nodding, Murphy tugs him along and circles around Emori to get to the chip. "Jaha's powering the pod."

"What is it powering for?" Harley asks, taking Emori's arm and dragging her into the closest chair.

"I don't know, but I know it isn't good." Ethan narrows his eyes, following each cord to its plugged position. "We have to destroy it. One big blow, end ALIE right here right now."

He feels Murphy leave his side, and almost instinctively goes to catch him. But all Murphy does is size up the pole keeping the pod levered open, before yanking it free from it's position.

He shows it to Ethan with a confident smile, who pointedly lifts his spear from its holster by a few centimeters and drops it back again.

Murphy scoffs, "Show off." And lines himself up for a perfect swing.

The thing that's been torturing them for the last few months is finally coming to an end. Excitement buzzes around Ethan and reverberates through Murphy, leaving their hearts thundering in sync. "Bye-bye, ALIE."

"Murphy." Emori protests, tied down to the chair. Her hands pull at the rope desperately.

Murphy ignores her and rears back.

"That's a nuclear fuel cell, John!"

They pause. Ethan's eyes flick to Murphy's, and they stare for a good second, wondering whether or not to believe her, or call her bluff.

"You'll irradiate the entire city."

Harley sighs through his nose and drags a hand over his face. "Of course it will." He seems just as done with this situation as the rest of them.

"So how do we destroy it?" Indra asks, blocking the second door on the other side of the room.

Murphy's grip slackens, until eventually he drops his stance and lowers the weapon.

"Carefully," Pike says. He pushes through Ethan and Murphy, and starts picking the bag apart. He's brave for turning his back on them.

Discreetly, Ethan's eyes slide to Murphy. The glimmer of his blade, yellow and silver, catches against the torch on the wall.