Chapter 34

"Alright, Murphy. Where to now?"

Murphy sniffs, dragging a tongue across his teeth. He lifts his cuffed wrists, taking Ethan's hand with it to show Bellamy.

"What say we lose these first, huh?"

Cocking a brow, Ethan tugs Murphy's arms back down.

"No," Bellamy says, "Again."

"If we get attacked out here, I have nothing to defend myself with."

Ethan releases the cuffs at the reminder, quickly searching through his boots. He groans. Michael took his knife during the interrogation.

"I don't care," Bellamy grumbles, glaring at the boy.

It's been a constant look on his face since he decided to bring Murphy.

Sick of the fighting, Finn pushes in between the duo and snaps the cuffs in half, dropping them to the floor.

Murphy looks at the restraints, then at his free hands, then at Finn. He shrugs, "Thank you."

Bellamy's glare hardens, tugging Finn a few feet ahead to talk with him.

"Congrats," Ethan yawns, digging his hands into his pockets. "You're a simpleton like me."

"Yeah, well, you should've taken that gun." Murphy shakes his head. "I didn't get a choice in the matter." He massages his rubbed raw wrists.

"With your track record, Murphy?" Ethan snorts, "Nobody's gonna trust you with a weapon."

Murphy smirks.

The challenge is accepted.

He jogs a few paces to catch up with Bellamy, testing Ethan's theory. "So do I get a gun now?"

Bellamy shoves him a few paces forward.

Ethan shrugs cockily at Murphy's backwards glance.

He realises it's not ideal to be wandering around with nothing but his wit and charm, and before long, stops beside Finn, "Hey, you got a spare?"

"Hm?" Finn glances at him, eyes appearing very far away.

Ethan gestures to the knife at his belt. "I'm empty-handed."

"Oh, yeah. Yeah, I do."

Rummaging through his bag, Finn pulls out a make-shift stone dagger and passes it over, eyes going right back to the path ahead as if nothing had disturbed him.

Brows pinched together, Ethan watches him for a second longer.

Finn's acting weird. Has been since they left camp.

Uncomfortable, Ethan passes Finn, then Murphy. Walks with Monroe and William for a few minutes - who both look incredibly tense - before he settles beside Bellamy.

"You armed yet?" Bellamy asks him, sparing a glance. He has a sassy eyebrow raised which makes Ethan scoff, smiling lightly.

"With a knife and my deadly charisma skills."

Bellamy shakes his head a little, rolling his eyes.

They hear a noise in the distance. Bodies lower into defensive positions. Slowly, they move closer, eyes on the path. If they'd look a bit higher, they'd start to see the camp.

But Murphy notices it before they do. "Everybody down, down."

Ethan feels Murphy shove him to the grass, hand to his upper back. He settles on his stomach with the whispered warning, peeking over the hill quietly, fingers grasping at bits of grass.