Chapter 109

Bellamy stumbles into the Throne Room with everyone else in tow, including the injured, and Ethan knows he doesn't bring good news. They lost the Commander's quarters to the climbers, and while they've managed to stop the first wave, it won't be long before the next one gets here.

They barricade the doors with everything left in their possession - chairs, tables, even the goddamn benches. 

"This is it." Bellamy tries to catch his breath, "We need to keep Clarke safe, give her time." He turns around and catches a machete thrown by Miller, "They're unarmed, but they won't feel pain, and they won't stop until they're out cold."

"Copy that. Go for the knockout." Miller drops into position.

Standing in the line of their only soldiers, Ethan spins his spear the opposite way until the blade touches the ground, "Stabbing is out of the question."

They hear a dual click click, the sound of a gun cocking, and simultaneously turn around to find Abby holding a gun that Murphy passed over.

Bellamy raises a brow.

She shrugs, "Only if they get past you."

Ethan understands the comfortable weight of having that reassurance in hand. He's almost glad she does too.

He glances at Murphy over Ontari's body.

Giving over his gun left him defenseless - the fact that Murphy even departed with his only weapon would surprise Ethan, under different circumstances. He situates himself a few steps further back, blocking the two little steps leading up to Murphy, and the only thing keeping Clarke alive.

The minute the first wave slams in through the doors, a wild onset of panic hits Ethan. Not because there are people trying to kill him - it's more common than it should be. But because he's realized how difficult it is not to reciprocate with the same violence.

He's out of breath by the time three bodies are knocked out beside his feet, unconscious and wounded, but alive. That's the hardest part.

The second he looks up for his next opponent, he watches it happen.

Octavia and Bellamy go down.

It's a corrupted Kane that sits over the latter, choking the life out of him bit by bit by bit. Octavia hasn't gotten back up.

Ethan catches his breath and dives into the fray. He sends a well-timed kick into a set of knees, elbows into ribcages, praying to whatever god that the Blake siblings are still alive.

The safe end of his spear swings in the air, prepared to come down when -

"Mum?"

A dead expression faces him, brown eyes, auburn hair, and a singular lack of a k-nine tooth. He sees it when she bares her teeth and lifts her fist like a mad woman.

Ethan's not breathing. Or maybe he is. But it doesn't matter because his defenses are down, and he follows that path the second she plows into him.

Hitting the ground rattles his brain back into fight or flight and he scrambles onto his elbows with a winced groan.

Lori doesn't see him. Just an obstacle she needs to remove. She storms forward, following him up the two measly steps and onto the main platform.

He doesn't hear Murphy yelling his name until he knocks into his legs. Sharply looking up, he sees Emori over Lorelai's shoulder. Ethan's face tightens into furious lines. ALIE knows exactly what she's doing - setting this up to make fighting the most difficult option.