Chapter 48

"They're not attacking yet which means we still have more time," Clarke starts.

They've gathered together, huddled around an abnormally long metal table inside the Ark. Subconsciously, they'd chosen to split the right and left side of the room depending on ideals.

Abby leans against her chair, "We have two hours till dawn."

"Let me talk to the commander. She was Anya's second, maybe she'll listen."

Ethan nods, rocking back and forth on his own chair. "If the threat can be solved without a fight, it's worth a try." He clutches at the metal when he leans back, keeping steady.

There's a disagreement across the table though, Jaha shaking his head. "We don't even know if the commander is here."

"Yes, we do. Nyko told us. You have to at least let her try." Finn adds.

From beside Jaha, Lorelai shares a hopeful look. "If we go to the City of Light, we won't need to fight."

Ethan narrows his eyes, "You don't know that, though. It could be worse than this." He glances between her and Jaha. "Hell, we don't even know if it exists. We should deal with what we have here, right now." A singular finger jabs at the metal table.

"Abby, we are wasting time. Give me the authority. Now."

Ethan rolls his eyes, but he can't deny the smug feeling that follows now that Jaha finally understands how it feels to have no power.

"Hold on."

They turn to Abby. She looks at Clarke, "You said that Lincoln was going through withdrawal? We don't even know what he's withdrawing from. The detox alone can kill him."

Jaha heaves a sigh and leans back in his seat. When Lorelai lays a gentle hand on his arm, comforting him, Ethan spares the two a confused glare.

"That's where you come in."

"And if I can't save him?"

Clarke shakes her head, "That's not an option."

At this point Abby is leaning toward them, having nothing but trust in her daughter. But Jaha only sees this as a challenge and continues a pointless argument. Ethan's not surprised to see Lorelai backing him up, but it still hurts that she won't even consider her own son's opinion.

When Jaha promises to come back and save the kids in Mount Weather, they all see the twitch of his eye. It's not going to happen.

Abby calmly picks her eyes up from the table and swings them over to Jaha, who'd stepped closer to tower over her. An attempt to control the situation with intimidation. But she shakes her head, "I'm sorry. But I can't give that order."

Ethan smiles behind his knuckles.

"I can't believe you're agreeing with them," Lorelai says, having paced the room until she settled behind Ethan's chair. She isn't looking at him, but at Abby.

Ethan tilts his head, swinging backward until the chair is on two feet. "I can't believe you're agreeing with the man who put me in the Skybox, even after what he knew." He shrugs, peering at the stare-off between the chancellors. "But here we are."

Clarke's curiosity peaks. After what he knew? What did that mean? But she can hear the hurt in Ethan's voice, coated in a faux casualness, and slips a hand over his shoulder.

She doesn't think about Lorelai's gaze that lands on the action, or about how Ethan tenses before completely melting.

Lorelai slams her hand on his chair until it's back on four feet before she circles the table to the other side, "You're killing us, Abby." She steps in front of the blonde and nods her head, short and sharp. "I hope you know that."