Chapter 8

"- she's just a stupid kid, Murphy! Hanging with a bunch of criminals that she sees trying to kill each other every five seconds. She doesn't know what she did wrong." Ethan's hands are covered in mud, trailing up his side and soaked through his clothes.

He doesn't know if it's from touching Murphy or hitting the ground.

Murphy shrugs him off, eyes locked on the tent holding Bellamy, Clarke, Finn and Charlotte.

"Bring her out!"

Under the layers of anger, betrayal, revenge, Ethan can see the confusion behind Murphy's eyes. A dazed shake of the head before the boy blinks it away, focused on the tent again, because Murphy doesn't know what else to do but use the anger.

Usually it's better to hurt them before they hurt you, but now it's too late.

Murphy wants Charlotte to feel what he felt.

If he didn't get mercy why would she?

"You can't kill her." Ethan grounds out. His eyes find the abused skin at Murphy's neck.

"She waited until last minute to tell the truth, the bitch knew what she was doing." Murphy hisses back.

Clenching and unclenching his hands, Ethan glances helplessly towards Octavia.

She shrugs, just as unsure about what to do.

He can hear how ruined Murphy's throat is when he starts yelling, stepping around Ethan, "You wanna build a society, princess? Let's build a society. Bring the girl out!"

Bellamy exits the tent.

He's without the girl, to which Ethan purses his lips. Eyeing the side of the tent like he's expecting Charlotte to escape with the other two.

"Well, well, well. Look who's decided to join us." Murphy strolls up to stand before him.

"Dial it down and back off."

"Or what? What are you gonna do, Bellamy? Hang me?"

Bellamy sighs through his nose, "I was just giving the people what they wanted."

Ethan presses his fingers into the bridge of his nose.

"Yeah." Murphy smirks, "That's a good idea. Why don't we do that right now?"

He turns to the people watching. "Who here wants to see the real murderer strung up? All in favour?" Murphy raises his hand.

Only a few mimic the action.

The rest stay silent.

He drops his hand. "I see." He nods, "So it's okay to string me up for nothing. . . but when this little bitch confesses, you wanna let her walk?!"

Ethan sees his point, hopes Bellamy would see it too. But he's sticking to his own ideals, and that means making sure no one is floated.

"Cowards! All of you-!"

"Hey, Murphy!" Despite what Bellamy's done, he's still using that tone of voice. I'm in charge, it's saying, you're inferior. "Murphy, it's over."

Ethan purses his lips. "You tried to kill him, he's not just gonna get over -"

Murphy nods though, taking a step back from Bellamy.

"Okay, boss."

Bellamy nods as well. He turns around and starts walking back.

Murphy takes the opening. He scoops up a log, arms straining and runs up behind Bellamy. Swinging it at the back of his head, he knocks him out cold.