Chapter 38

They hesitate by the edge of the forest when they see the Ark.

The delay allows Octavia to soak the sight in for those few minutes, her jaw dropped. Almost a direct picture from when they opened the drop-ship doors and saw the sun. To their surprise, despite the guards getting into position and shouting out orders, there isn't a single one calling to fire.

Ethan's gonna faint as soon as he steps beyond the gates, he thinks, palming a hand to his tired eyes.

But they need to check on Raven and go back out for Clarke.

The fact that Lorelai isn't his main concern should worry him.

It doesn't.

The large, makeshift gate drags open with a terrible squeal and Ethan's beginning to notice that the guards are still pointing their guns. As if they're the enemy.

"Weapon." A soldier reaches out to Bellamy, "We're gonna need your weapon."

Bellamy's grip on the gun tightens, glaring, before he releases it, no choice in the matter.

Ethan's not giving up his second knife unless they force it from him, and sticks close behind Octavia, eyes settling on Michael - of all fucking guards - who steps forward with a malicious sort of glee and yanks at Ethan's jacket, patting him down with unnecessary force. He winces with the pain that flares up his arm. Out of the corner of his eyes, he sees Bellamy stop, stepping back to intercept on instinct.

Luckily for all of them, a man not in guard uniform - but a gun over his shoulder - seizes Michael's wrist and pulls it away, shaking his head once as a warning. The deep, blue eyes; sharp jawline; and light brown hair reminds Ethan of his mother. By the looks of it, they'd be the same age too.

"Shut it, Harley. I'm checking for weapons." Michael hitches his gun higher, protecting his forefront subconsciously.

"They're injured," Harley says, straightening to his full height and looking down at the other man.

Ethan doesn't remember encountering guards with "good intentions" on the Ark and buries the urge to thank Harley for his actions. Instead, he hides beside Octavia, peeping past her head to sneak another peek.

Harley glances at him. Ethan flicks his head back around.

It's when Abby starts to head over that things cool down, attention back to the things that mattered. She stops in front of Mel, "I know you." She says, searching the young girl's face, "Factory Station."

Mel nods.

"Where are the others?"

Shaking her head, Mel looks at the ground. "There are no others."

"We found her a day from here." Bellamy reports, "No survivors, lots of supplies."

Abby nods, looking downtrodden. But she glances at Ethan and Monroe, then says, "Get them to medical."

Ethan moves to follow Monroe to the tents, a guard guiding him with a hand to the elbow, but a flash of blond hair has him digging his shoes into the dirt.

A familiar face. Someone that has him yanking from the guard and stumbling back towards Octavia to steady himself.

Because that's Clarke.

Clarke, who they were searching for, who Finn and Murphy are still searching for, is here, right now. Barreling into Bellamy with more vigour than ever, her gashed up arms reaching around his shoulders and pulling him closer. It's a shock to see the toothy grin she has on her face.

"Clarke." The smile that happens upon Ethan's face splits his dry lip down the middle.

Bellamy hangs there, the gears in his head still turning. It clicks after a second, accepting the love of a friend that he hasn't experienced in years when he swings his arms across Clarke's shoulders. He closes his eyes and drops his head, holding her tight.

"Now there's something I never thought I'd see," Octavia says, a small smile playing at her lips.

Ethan nods his head in agreement, scrubbing at his lip until it ceases its bleeding. There's fondness in his eyes when looks down at Octavia, glancing between her and Clarke like they'd disappear if he wasn't watching. It's only been a few days, but for them, maybe months.

Octavia drops her head against Ethan's shoulder, pressing gently against his side. He breaks out into a soft smile.

Clarke and Bellamy pull away, eyes firmly locked.

They, too, are making sure that this isn't some sick illusion. Or a dream they'll wake up from in another few seconds.

Clarke glances from Bellamy to his sister, quick to give the girl a hug as well. "I'm glad you're okay," Is whispered.

"Me too."

Ethan waves at Raven, who's slowly but surely walking towards them with a limp in her step. He decides it would be best not to mention the brace around her leg.

He can guess what's happened.

Clarke pulls back, nodding at Octavia. Ducking under Ethan's bound arm, which she spares a second glance at, she wraps her arms around his ribs and releases a heavy exhale. "You made it. I wasn't sure, after. . ."

The words are left unspoken, but Ethan and Bellamy can fill in the blanks. When those drop-ship doors closed and left them in the middle of an all-out war.

Ethan drops his chin on Clarke's shoulder, smoothing circles on her upper back with his good hand. "We found a way. We always do."

Raven catches up to them, smiling at Octavia in greeting. Clarke pulls away to greet her.

"How many are with you?" Bellamy asks. There still remains a small smile on his face. It needs to be cherished.

"None."

Their faces drop.

"Where's Finn?"

And so do Clarke and Raven's.

"Looking for you," Bellamy says, looking at the others. "We all were. We had to split up, take the injured back. Finn's still out there, Clarke." The light in his eyes begins to die out.

Clarke's gaze drops to the dirt.

Ethan sees Lorelai circling around people to get closer and tries to smile. He almost forgets that she's finally down here with him. "Hey, Mum."

But the same nicety isn't shared.

"Ethan Beckett!" She's a raging storm when she twists around Raven to grab Ethan's good arm, who flinches in turn. "What the hell do you think you're doing? Getting yourself hurt and pretending to be some sort of hero?"

"Ma," Ethan breathes out, trying to take his arm back. It's hard to ignore that all of his friends are watching.

He can't say he's surprised at the anger. He'd left his mother without a second thought about how she'd feel.

It's just - it's normal to follow the delinquents.

"I'm sick of you acting like you're-" Lorelai shakes her head, out of words, "-special." She disapproves, attempting to drag him to the medical tents. Ethan drops his head. "You don't get to break the rules when you want to!"

"I was helping my friends, Ma. We saved someone."

Ethan glances behind him. Clarke, Bellamy, Octavia and Raven. . . They're clearly listening, faces growing tense.

"Yeah, I heard you lost someone in the process." She rolls her eyes, "Good job."

His eyes widen, head swivelling back around. The guilt of William's death makes his stomach curl. "I'm sorry."

"They found Factory Station."

Both mother and son spin around to see Harley, the guard without uniform, standing by the medical tent. He glances up at them, stacking boxes and shrugs, no emotion on his face.

"We needed the supplies." He adds.

Ethan blinks.

He's not agreeing with Lorelai?

Disorientated by the fact, Ethan keeps his eyes on Harley until his mother grabs his arm and drags him inside for Abby to deal with.

He throws one last glance at his friends, now watching with matching expressions. He can't pinpoint what emotion it is.