Chapter 12

Bellamy took a crew out to search for Octavia.

They succeeded. But in their stead, a wounded Finn.

Ethan watches, backed off into a far corner. He'd very quickly decided to watch from a distance when Clarke snapped, telling him right that he was only getting in the way.

He thought about comforting Raven, but she'd been avoiding him like the plague and he wasn't one to purposefully push boundaries. 

Like a triangle of avoidance; he, Raven and Clarke in separate corners.

If anyone asked, he'd deny the pain in his hands, playing repeatedly with the buckles hanging off his pockets even if he kept getting his fingers caught in them.  

Ethan barely notices when Octavia sits beside him. Not until she pulls his offending hand away and tightens her hold on it. 

A shiver racks his body. It's cold, he notices, with the storm raging outside, and he shakes his head at her. "Sorry."

Distractedly, she doesn't look at him. "What?"

"I should have come back with you."

Octavia finally turns her head, bloody face, messy hair, glazed eyes and all. "Contrary to popular belief. I can look after myself." Then, leaning in to be heard past the thunder, "The grounder, he saved me."

Sucking in his bottom lip to lightly chew on it, Ethan looks around, as if they were sharing a secret. Deeming it safe, he turns back. "He kidnapped you."

"Yeah, after I fell and hit my head. I was unconscious, he could have done anything but he didn't."

Ethan cocks his head, "Okay, you got me there."

Octavia gives him a pointed look, I know I'm right.

Then; Static.

A voice.

They all hear it.

From the radio that there was barely any hope for, reached a voice that silences the chatter. It's difficult to be heard over the storm, but -

"This is a restricted station. Who is this? Please identify yourself."

Raven's quick to reply, "This is Raven Reyes. I'm from mecha station. I'm transmitting from the ground." She turns to gaze upon the crowd huddling behind her. "The 100 are alive. Please, you need to get me Dr. Griffin."

Static follows. There was a scuffle, like something being moved. 

"Raven? Raven, you there?"

Clarke's head snaps up from where she's standing, above Finn's laboured chest. She rushes over.

"Mum?"

"Clarke?"

Ethan shoves the mantra of it worked, it worked, it worked, into the back of his mind until there comes a moment to celebrate. Along with Octavia, he's back out in the heavy rain. The wind is enough to blow them back a few steps. He'd never seen anything like it. In any other situation, he would have been ecstatic and curious.

But they're doing this to help Finn survive.

Ethan was especially willing when Clarke started sending him to retrieve things, because he really did feel bad about getting in her way. This time he'd get it right. He could prove he wasn't a total idiot.

The second they step back inside, handing off Monty's moonshine to Clarke, they're onto another job. Soaked to the bone and dripping from their clothes.