Chapter 61

"What is this plant? And how do you know it's around here?"

Ethan brushes past the leaves to meet his mother on the other side. 

She's dragged him out of bed too early in the morning to be understandable - on the singular day he was allowed to sleep in - to explore the woods in search of a medicinal herb he has no idea about. Lorelai hasn't been out this far since her first day on the ground.

Ethan doesn't tell anyone where he's going - doesn't think he needs to. 

That was his first mistake.

Ethan stops by one of the rushing creeks, gathers a handful of freezing water and throws it into his face. "Jesus," He gasps, "Now that's a wake-up call."

"Ethan. You're taking too long."

He groans, using his shirt to dry his face. When he manages to catch back up - how does Lorelai even know where she's going? - an itch gathers at the back of his mind. It hits the forefront and he realises -

"You know what? The dropship's around here somewhere." Ethan says, frowning.

He knows because he was out here the other day with Murphy. And was having a much better time.

To this very hour, Ethan doesn't know where Murphy disappeared to. And he's starting to worry.

Lorelai hums, trudging through the area like she's been there at least once before.

Which is odd.

Ethan slows, cautious. "Mum. What plant are we looking for?"

She turns around, "None of them if you keep walking this slowly."

"I just want to know before you get yourself lost." Ethan rolls his eyes. "Seriously, I need to get back." He hesitates after the next step.

Lorelai firmly turns around.

She looks at the trees - etched with large crosses - and nods, making her decision.

"We didn't come for a plant."

He drops his head, scrubbing a hand at his tired eyes. "I knew it."

"Just listen, Ethan." Lorelai starts, taking a deep breath. Her blank eyes land on Ethan, and as if the demand was just like any other daily thought, she says, "I want you to go with Thelonius."

"Who?" the fuck?

"Jaha."

"Oh," Weirded out by the use of his first name - seriously, not even Abby calls Jaha that - Ethan glances at Lorelai, "To where?"

"To the City of Light."

Something cold rushes through his veins.

His shoulders shake with laughter. It builds up until he's sniggering tiredly into the brisk air, digging his fingers over the bridge of his nose.

"Are you serious right now? I'm not going anywhere with that piece of shit, let alone to a fake city no one's ever been to."

"How many times do I have to tell you not to use that language?" 

"Many, many times. Did we forget that I was sent here to die and nobody watches their language when they're down here?" Ethan swipes a hand out towards the endless trees, body swinging with the gesture. "We've been over this. I'm not a kid."

Lorelai narrows her eyes, her lips twisting in disdain.

Ethan caves, "Sorry." He shuffles from foot to foot.