Chapter 39

Ethan waits with Clarke and Bellamy, new stitches in his arm and a cautious expression on his face.

He doesn't know when the three musketeer thing had started but he feels appreciated every time. As though they finally respected him enough to want his input.

One thing was for sure, the Chancellor position is starting to feel less and less important everytime they pass it around.

Abby's been granted acting Chancellor. Kane is nowhere to be found.

Ethan's mostly disappointed. With the role, Abby has hardened. That lovely, soft-spoken lady, has been shoved deep down for now and he hopes to see it come back.

There's a meeting about the fate of their friends happening in the room before them.

From experience, the council wasn't too good at making decisions. So he'd pressed his ear to the door to listen.

And regretted it immediately.

Most of it was talk about them. A lot of "its just PTSD" and "they're overreacting" going around.

If anything, they weren't reacting enough. They've been tortured, killed, kidnapped - are being tested on in Mount Weather. How is that not concerning? How are they overreacting?

Ethan had pulled away, relaying the information with a tightened jaw. Clarke and Bellamy had reacted the same.

So when Abby finally walked out of the room, a decision made, they weren't expecting good news.

"We're going to gather intel on Mount Weather before sending a team in for your friends." She says, which is good because at least they're trying but then, to top it off, she adds, "Finn and John. They're on their own."

It's Murphy. Not John.

Frustratingly, that's Ethan's first coherent thought.

Murphy had always protested against being called by his first name, trying to forget the child he once was, just as Ethan is.

Then Abby's words click.

The council was leaving Murphy and Finn to die.

"What?" Clarke's brows fly up to her hairline, "No. You can't just cut them loose!"

Ethan clenches his jaw and crosses his arms, glancing over his shoulder to watch Bellamy pace the floor.

If they won't go, then we will.

"Sweetheart, we don't have the manpower to send out two rescue missions and protect our camp."

"Mum, they're in trouble. They're either gonna get themselves killed or they're gonna make things worse with the grounders."

Ethan nods, "Trust me, there's a high chance in that. Finn wasn't himself. Who knows what he'll do when he realises they don't have Clarke."

He pinches nervously at his lips, watching the interaction with minimal hope that Abby will understand. He knows the feeling.

Clarke nods, "And we need the grounders to get our people out of Mount Weather."

Abby doesn't budge, "I know you feel this is unfair. . . but our priority has to be with Chancellor Kane if there is any hope for peace."

"If you wanted peace, you shouldn't have killed the only grounder who was gonna help us."

"I'm sorry," Abby says. And it's final. "The decision's been made."

She turns to walk away and gets only a few steps out before a voice stops her.

It's Bellamy and he sounds pissed.