59. extra

Ethan feels Murphy's legs move away, feet tucked under the chair like he's ready to pounce from it. Though he remains seated, that same dangerous narrow-eyed look on his pretty face.

Hands remain paused above the chessboard.

Most of Trikru are led by Kane towards the nuts and water, giving away some of their rations.

Three boys hover behind Ethan like a bad smell.

It was unnerving to say the least. He was expecting some sort of fight, as Mikael did with Murphy.

Ethan glances up from their legs, his face blank and seemingly uninterested. But there's a daring glint in his eyes, one the delinquents know well.

The grounders are talking, but they don't look at the table's inhabitants. They stare down at the chessboard in interest.

The dialect recently understood as Trigadesleng grates on his ears only because he doesn't know what they're planning. Some key words he can catch, the ones Octavia taught him, but it doesn't make a full sentence.

They point at the pieces, look at each other, then look at Ethan.

Monroe speaks up first, ever the forgiving, "You wanna play?"

A head fluffed with dark curls, one of them glance around like they're looking for someone, then, "What is it?" In choppy English.

Ethan turns his head to glance at Murphy, stiffly moving his next piece. "It's a strategy-based game. Take out their pieces to get to the king."

Monroe can hear Murphy's whispered words, "I bet they know all about that." And jabs her elbow into his ribs.

Indra steps up behind her disciples with Kane beside her.

The youngest boy looks relieved - Indra must've been the one he was looking for - and gestures at the board.

"Ah, yes." Kane takes lead, getting too close, almost invading their bubble - it was their cool kids table thank you very much - to reach for a piece, as if to play Ethan's next turn.

Scowl set in place, Ethan whacks his hand away and plays it himself.

Kane continues like it never happened, but Ethan sees the muscles at his jaw working. "Chess is a mind game. You could say it builds strategy."

For a whole five seconds, there's anger in Ethan. Because he's looking at the game he was playing - not Kane - and seeing the hundred as pawns.

The board was Earth, and the king sent his pawns as sacrifices.

But when Murphy moves his piece - trying very hard to ignore the extra presence in case Kane gives him double work detail for even glaring - Ethan realises that it shouldn't matter anymore.

This could be their peace. A treaty between Trikru and Skaikru.

The three grounders send a begging-like look towards Indra. And though she doesn't seem the soft type, she nods towards the board.

Teaching the grounders not well-versed in English how to play wasn't going to be fun.

He's distracted from the matter when Murphy stands, excusing himself stiffly. A well-placed mask of snark sits on his face as he speaks, "I've got things to do, remember Kane?" And he heads towards the Ark to finish his work detail.

Ethan follows him with his eyes, even as the grounders settle down beside him.

It was difficult to keep his limbs calm in their presence. They were warriors, no matter how old they might be.