Chapter 70

Thirteenth Day.

The crack of a gunshot has Ethan scrambling out of the bedroom, slamming into the pool table to steady himself. "Murphy?"

His wide eyes flit around frantically, only to find that damn recording playing on screen.

Bowing his head, Ethan exhales shakily to release the pent-up tension.

Murphy's on the couch with the remote.

Ethan stumbles over, rubbing the sleep out of his eyes. "Are you still watching this?" He flicks him in the ear.

"Don't." Murphy strikes the offending hand away, glaring up at the blond. The agony of a repeated nightmare - constant, constant nightmares - is still playing on loop behind his eyes.

Ethan holds his hands up in mock surrender, taking a lazy step back. He sees the slight tremor Murphy's trying to hide. "C'mon, you're gonna go crazy trying to find something that's not there."

They've already scoured the video a thousand times for answers, putting together only half a puzzle.

"Stop acting like you care."

"Screw you, Murphy." Ethan scoffs, eyes hard and glued to the back of his head, "I'm going back to bed, take the fucking couch if you're gonna be like that."

"You didn't even have to be here." Murphy shoves to his feet, gesturing sharply towards the stairs. "You wanted to follow Jaha, didn't you? I mean, that is what your mum expected, right?"

Ethan jerks back, standing taller. "Don't fucking start with this."

"No, I'm starting this." Murphy circles the couch, head held high and back ramrod straight.

His eyes are squinted in a way that Ethan knows is more defensive than angry.

"You killed for Lori. You got arrested for her. Why couldn't you do this one extra thing?" Murphy couldn't handle another person dying because of him.

"You damn well know the answer to that!" Ethan jabs a finger at him, wide eyes set on Murphy. He drops his hand and exhales harshly, "Jesus christ, you are so. . ."

They're a foot away from each other, every frustrated word accompanied by another step closer.

Murphy pulls away. His expression slips back into something neutral and he meets Ethan's challenging eyes without blinking.

"Stop acting like this is the end of everything." Ethan's shoulders rise and fall with a deep, controlled breath. "I'm okay. You're okay. Everything is okay."

Being trapped in the bunker isn't good for either of them, showing more and more with every passing day.

But at least they weren't alone.

Ethan can't imagine being alone.

"What are we supposed to do?" Murphy grumbles, looking away.

"I don't know." Ethan drags a hand over his tired eyes, "UNO?"

They'd finished a whole bottle of wine that day, or night, or morning or whatever time it was, just to rid the amped-up feeling of being caged.

Murphy slips into the bed beside Ethan, head a bit hazy, but aware of everything.

They stay far to opposite ends, lying on the blankets without a sound, staring blankly at the roof.

He had gotten Ethan to hide the TV remote, giving up control like he's never done before, in an attempt to apologise. He was never good at communicating, and now worse than ever, trying in vain to stay calm in the tense silence.