Chapter 62

In a spot of woods suspiciously nearby, is a group of Jaha's people, believed to be following the man to a better future. Somewhere where the water glimmers in silver and the sun shines in rainbows. They were delusional, at least in Ethan's eyes.

Unfortunately, and unknowingly to Ethan, one of those followers happens to be the one and only John Murphy.

The brunette hesitates at the edge of the trees, with the dropship at his back. There's only one thing he can't help but think about.

He's leaving Ethan behind.

And he has no choice.

When Murphy shot down Jaha's offer, not willing to follow him to this so called City when things were starting to maybe, maybe look up for him at camp - well, Jaha hadn't taken it kindly.

Threatened him, very specifically.

The fifteen of them flinch hard, ducking at the sound of gunfire. A singular echo of confusion.

"What the hell was that?"

Jaha remains standing, and glances calmly at Murphy, "I believe," He smiles, "You know exactly who that is."

Murphy's eyes widen. He takes off, running towards the danger at the risk of his own safety. If Jaha really is implying that Ethan is out here, he'd be without a gun - Murphy knows he would've given it back to Harley - and that leads towards the sole belief that someone is firing at Ethan.

"Ethan!"

His feet kick up dirt when he skids to a stop, arms held out in front of him because he sees Ethan, but also Michael - gun out and recently fired.

"Murphy?" Ethan's on his knees, pathetically holding his hands up in surrender. His attention isn't on Michael anymore, in fact, he barely acknowledges he's there when he sees his. . . friend.

There's a weight in Murphy's hands, cold and metallic. He doesnt know when he'd grabbed it, but it's already aimed at the guard.

There's no hesitancy.

He moves slowly down the hill, brushes his hand against Ethan's shoulder to reassure himself. His fingers trail further, latching onto the lifted arm and tugging.

Ethan doesn't resist when Murphy firmly nudges him behind his back.

"What the hell is wrong with you?" The glare is directed towards Lorelai, the gun remaining on Michael. Murphy can't see it. She can't be Ethan's mother, not with what's happened here.

Then Jaha's above them. Like he's some sort of saint interrupting what was about to be a very violent moment.

"Michael, there's no need for this." Jaha nods at the handgun, still held high, until the guard nods and lowers it.

Lorelai beams at Jaha.

The ex-chancellor smiles back, walking over to wrap his arms tightly around her.

Oh.

Oh.

The threat of the gun is gone. But Ethan still can't move. They were together, even after the shit Jaha's put them through, put her through? What was Murphy doing here? Would Lori have let Michael shoot him?

"Hey," Murphy tucks his gun away and grabs his arm, pulling him to the surface of the metaphorical lake he was drowning in.

Ethan tilts his head to meet his eyes.

Simultaneously, they glance towards Lorelai and the others. The expression on Ethan's face is familiar.

It's one of betrayal.