Chapter 15

"Yo, Ethan." Miller swings out from the dropship, dropping a hand on Ethan's shoulder. It's the gentlest he'd ever seen him, he guesses it's because Bellamy isn't around. "You're up."

Ethan's heart jumps into his throat. He'd almost forgotten what it was like to be this happy.

He nods and starts heading towards the dropship. It quickly shifts into a run once Miller has turned around and he skids past the curtained doorway.

Ethan hesitates just outside of the small, salvaged screen. 

He brushes down his hair, straightens his shirt and clears his throat. Finally, he slips into the seat and pulls on the headset, accidentally ripping out a few hairs as he gets settled.

"Ethan, is that you?"

His shoulders become suddenly lighter, "Mum?" There's a grin on his face, and it kind of hurts now.

Lorelai shifts on-screen and graces him with her smile, a singular canine tooth missing from her pearly whites. "My boy," She clasps her hands together, leaning into the screen. "I've missed you."

Ethan is taking in every detail of her face, too stumped by the fact that she's actually here to come up with something to say.

She leans even closer and frowns. "What happened to your face? Are you okay?"

"You have no idea." He chokes, pressing a hand over his trembling mouth. The ache across his nose and under his eyes is forever present, and a gnarly colour.

"Don't cry, honey. You're not twelve anymore."

"Right," Ethan sniffles, shaking himself out, "Sorry. It's just, you're actually here. I'm - I'm okay," He huffs a breath and forces himself to calm down, "So much has happened. There were - There were so many times I thought I wouldn't see you again, and then Raven said that -"

Short and abrupt, she lifts a hand, palm up. Eyes darting inconspicuously around the room she was in.

He gets the message, nods his head and refrains from mentioning it. He could only guess the council didn't know about her involvement. "I love you." He has to say. Because they have a time limit and he can hear the tick-tock of it currently running out.

"Love you too, Ethan. They say we might be coming down soon." She says, a small smile gracing her face.

The idea of having everyone from the Ark on the ground isn't appealing to Ethan. But he'll have to deal with it. "You'll love it. The first day is crazy." He starts ranting now, pointing out every single detail he'd loved when stepping out of the dropship. 

The stars, the weather, the smell, the air, the water, the meat, even the gravity is different. 

Ethan knows she'll tell him to slow down and speak clearly if he goes on any longer, but for now, she lets him rant.

"- the forest goes on for miles. Actually, is it true? Is Jaha keeping his promise? All our charges are being dropped?" He chews on his lip, slumping his shoulders to get closer to the screen.

"Yes, it's true. Jaha -" She sighs, thinking of a way to phrase it. "He's a good man. You'd be surprised, he's changed. If the Chancellor didn't keep his promise, I'd be kicking down his door to make sure he does."

Ethan doesn't believe her about Jaha, not one bit, but he doesn't want to trod on this air of relief and happiness, so he nods. "Okay, mum." And laughs.

Lorelai looks up suddenly, at something Ethan can't see past the camera. He realises it's probably time to swap with the next parent and feels the lump of emotion in his throat make another appearance. She looks back down at him and smiles, but her lips are pursed and her brows are lowered.