Chapter 18

It was like some sort of organized plan when all four of them divided, jobs in mind and directions headed. Lincoln was already gone with Octavia, one headed for his leader and the other to wait at the bridge, chosen carefully as their meeting point. Ethan and Finn had walked home in comfortable silence, similar ideals being shared. The former was happy to have people like this to agree with.

As soon as they'd passed the gates, they split. Ethan was on his way to the first floor of the dropship, opening boxes of medical equipment and gathering rationally. Things wouldn't go well if he brought it all and then lost it, so he level-headedly collected a few things - like bandages and the seaweed Clarke accumulated - leaving plenty behind.

He watches Finn and Clarke leave first and already feels better. It's going perfectly to plan. Ethan was told where to meet and would get there soon, but his place isn't needed as much as the packed bag is, so he makes certain that he has water and, just in case, some rations.

Shucking higher the heavy bag that rattles when he jumps, Ethan ducks under the curtain flap and exits the dropship with a smile on his face. He avoids Bellamy easily.

Too easily.

Where is Bellamy? Confused and awfully paranoid, Ethan checks his tent, only to find his bed empty. When he shoves aside the flap to the ammunition tent to find Raven gone as well - with the stacks of readied bullets - his stomach drops.

How did they find out?

Ethan rushes through the front gates and follows the trail burned into his memory. Straight ahead until the separation of trees, take a right from there, continue over the small valley, take a left and move straight ahead. The bridge should be easily spottable.

Ethan was more worried about who would get there first.

Panting, he veers off the path, seeing something in the distance. Three bodies are moving in the leaves, one of them wearing a bright orange jacket. The tallest crouches down, lifting something from the dirt and showing it off to the others. They nod, stand and keep walking.

Ethan's feet feel rooted to the spot. He's surprised at the noise that comes out of his throat when he tries to follow after them and jerks back, legs trembling. He clearly can't win against them, he thinks, and his convincing skills haven't won against Bellamy, ever.

Guns, they brought guns. He reminds himself, clenching his jaw.

"Okay, come on." Ethan breathes out, rocking on his feet. "Any time now legs. All you have to do is slow them down." He's whispering through gritted teeth.

This was supposed to be a nice walk in the woods, with beautiful things planned for their people. If Bellamy - and Jasper, really?

After the last few times he saw Jasper, traumatised and terrified of seeing the grounders again, Ethan wouldn't think he'd be here, ready to face off with them.

What did Bellamy say to convince him? That he'd be a hero? That nothing would happen?

Ethan feels a fierce protection. His friends shouldn't be shoved into harm's way like this.

He's gotta do something, just anything, improvise on the spot -

"Hey!"

Bellamy whips around, ducks and aims the gun all at the same time.

Ethan is already holding his hands up in surrender, heading towards them with a stutter in his steps. "Where - Uh, where are you going?"

"Beckett?" Bellamy exhales frustratedly out of his nose and lowers the gun. "Of course. I shouldn't have expected anything more from you." He stands.

Ethan sticks a tongue between his teeth and bites down hard, a hand wrapping around the strap of his bag.

Raven is glaring at him. "You helped the grounder? Why am I not surprised?"

She was the nicest person when she landed on Earth, but since that time at the lake. . . Raven doesn't like him, and he has no clue why.

"You need to go back," Ethan says.

One chance to help Finn out and he has no idea what to say.

"You need. . . You need to stay out of this. Jasper, what are you doing here, man? Bellamy's using you."

Jasper stutters, his wide-eyed gaze jumping away. He can't even begin to answer when the older boy cuts in.

"Me?" Bellamy begins to laugh, a furiously mocking sound and looks at the others in disbelief.

Jasper looks like he'd rather be anywhere but there, can only smile awkwardly when their leader glances his way.

Ethan scowls, but Jasper won't meet his questioning eyes.

Bellamy takes a step forward, "You think I should stay out of things?" Another step, "Beckett, every time I see you you're in my way." Another step. "In Clarke's way."

He's right.

Ethan lifts his chin in defiance, "This isn't about me -"

"You talk about fun and chaos," Bellamy is close enough to jab a finger against his chest, "but you're too scared to commit to it and we all know why. You can't stand being alone so you follow people around for anything to hang onto."

Something cold curls around Ethan's chest and he ducks his head to avoid Bellamy's vicious smirk. "That's not true."

"And that's why this was so easy."

Ethan hears Raven gasp and when he turns back, limbs frozen, the last thing he sees is the butt of Bellamy's precious rifle.