Chapter 16

Lindsey

        "I told you not to wear them heels," Mama shook her head as she sat her bags down in front of her classroom so she could unlock the door. "I know you only wore them so you could show off for these little boys up here. Nobody's gonna be looking at you because you're gonna be sitting in my room all day. You better be glad your Daddy didn't see you walk out of the house in them."

        I laughed as I followed her into her classroom. There was testing being done at school today for the underclassmen, so the upperclassmen didn't have to attend school today. T3 still had to go to school though, and Daddy had to do some business at his club, so Mama thought it would be nice for me to come to work with her since I haven't been in a couple of months. "Daddy saw me though," I closed the door behind myself. "He said I was killin' the game with these heels."

        "No, you're gonna hurt yourself walking around in those heels. I have a pair of shoes in my back cabinet that you need to put on."

        "I need to put them on? How come I can't wear these Mama?" I smiled.

        "Because you're gonna fall and you'll be complaining to me tomorrow about how badly your feet are hurting and how you won't be able to go to school because of it."

        I laughed as I walked off to the back of her room so I could put on her shoes. She knows me so well. Part of me came up here dressed up for the boys, but another part of me was just trying to get out of school tomorrow. I stepped out of the heels and slipped the black flats on to my feet. At least these shoes went along with my black and gold Versace blouse and dark black denim jeans. I closed her cabinet and walked back up to the front of her room, taking her seat behind her desk. "So, when are the kids getting here?"

        Mama stopped writing on the board as she turned to me. "Kids? Most of them are older than you," she laughed. "But they should be here in a few minutes. Remember what I told you about the boys?"

        "Yeah," I nodded my head, leaning back against her black swivel chair. "You told me not to talk to them and be polite, but not too polite because they eat up kindness." I laughed. "Mama, they're just boys and they should be paying attention in class, not to me."

        "Half of these damn kids don't listen," she said as people began crowding around her door. She finished writing on the board before she went to open the door for her students. They slowly filled the classroom, mostly in large groups though. 

        "Mrs. Reeeeeeeeeeeeed."

        I knew that loud voice. I looked up at the door and saw Ashley. I haven't seen this girl in over a month, or heard her loud ass voice and I was enjoying the peace my ears were getting. The funny thing is, I didn't know she was one of my Mom's students. It seemed like the few times I've been here before, half of the class would be missing so I can only assume she's that part of the class that was missing. I'm glad I cut her off though. As much rude shit she's talked all school year about her English teacher, she better be glad I didn't know who her teacher was. I would have said something to her if I knew my Mom was her teacher.

        "What, Ashley?" Mama sighed.

        "Did you check my test yet?"

        "Can you take a seat please? If you let me get my class started, then I'd be able to tell you that I'm giving them back today."

        "Yeah whatever," she looked past Mama towards me. She sent me a smile before waving in my direction, causing Mama to turn to me. Mama was giving me that look so I knew better than to respond to Ashley. I just looked down at my phone instead. "What'chu say to her Mrs. Reed? How come she ain't talking to me?"