Chapter Fourty Two

Liam

I liked watching Grace read. On the in between days, when no drama was happening I had insisted upon joining her while she worked. She had protested at first, of course, but when I told her I was uncomfortable with her running a shop downtown by herself she had softened.

"It's just a book store," she had teased gently after she gave in and allowed me to follow her to the shop.

"You don't know what kind of creep could come in," I scoffed.

"I believe that's how we first met," she pointed out, squeezing my arm as she laughed at my scowl.

"That was different," I insisted as she unlocked the door.

Satey turned in the doorway, hands resting on opposite frames to block my way in as she stared at me inquisitively. "How was it different?"

"I liked you." I muttered, cross with her for making me blush.

"Yeah," she agreed sarcastically, "you were quite the charmer."

"Hey," I pouted and that was when I realized how much Satey had changed me. I never would have pouted 'Pre-Satey.'

"I know, I know," she sighed, leaning up to kiss my check. "You've changed."

"So you admit I'm charming now, then?"

"Shut up Liam."

I ignored the giddy smile that popped up on my face as I followed her inside.

"Where's Banjo?" I asked, curious when the little guy didn't scurry to the door at the sound of visitors.

"With Imogen," Satey grumbled ahead of me. "I didn't even get the kid in the divorce."

I frowned at the lack of humor in her voice.

"She'll come around, yeah?" I assured her as I slid my arms around her waist and kissed the base of her neck.

"Mm," Satey hummed and I wasn't sure if it was in agreement with my words or in satisfaction at my ministrations.

When I tried to suck a bruise there, though, she pushed me off with a giggle to work at the front desk. I sat in a swivel chair beside her, pretending to be on my phone when, in reality, I was watching her.

She was wearing her glasses, something she had begun to do more often when I told her how sexy I thought she looked in them, and biting at her lip in concentration.

"You're unbelievably pretty," I told her after some time had passed.

Satey's hand jerked before she lifted it to tuck some hair behind her ear, blushing and not meeting my gaze.

"Thank you," she mumbled.

I sighed, wheeling myself over to her to pull her into my lap.

"One day, you'll believe me," I promised, kissing her nose before she pulled my face down to kiss her properly.

~~~

When I awoke the second time, it was a lot less harsh. I blinked myself to consciousness, eyes adjusting to the dark room.

The first thing I noticed was the pain; I was sore everywhere, and my wrists and ankles were burning because of their binding. My head ached with a piercing throb just above my left ear.

I became aware of another sound, not any louder than my own heart pounding in my ears, and it was familiar. I squinted, as if it would help me place the sound.

Then,

coughing.

I jolted in surprise. "Hello? Is someone else in here?"

"Liam?" a voice rasped like they hadn't had water in days.

It sounded so familiar, but the pain coursing through my body made my processing so much slower.

"Liam? Oh, God, are you alright?"

And just as soon as I recognized the voice and my blood ran cold in my veins, the door slammed open.

"What a reunion!"

~~~~~~
FLUFFF and short af sorry
I had a college visit this week like ¿?!¡¿ So weird writing/reading fanfiction and then thinking about becoming an adult NOT EXCITED. NEXT UPDATE BY NEXT WEEKEND AS ALWAYS MY LOVES maybe sooner if my dumbass school system will actually close for snow cos we haven't yet. I LUB YOU
~~~~~~