Chapter Eight

Liam

When I looked at Satey's face, I knew she was going to bolt.

My plan had worked. I had scared her off by showing her who I was inside. She didn't want to be around me anymore. She had come to her senses and realized that I wasn't good for her. She was back to being afraid of me.

Was that really what I wanted?

The ache in my chest when I saw the fear flashing in Satey's eyes was enough proof that it wasn't.

It was if I was dying when she turned to run, because memories of her flashed before my eyes.

The way she looked in my clothes, the way her eyes went wide the few times she saw me that first day, the way the sun framed her body in the morning, the way she drove me crazy with her sass, the way her hand fit perfectly in mine, the way she whispered my name, the way her lips molded with mine... The way she calmed the violent fire that was within me.

Was Satey worth going back through the hell that was my past?

The fear that gripped my own heart as she ran was answer enough.

I yanked the gloves off my hands, about to sprint after her, when Samuel stopped me, his gloved fist pushing back on my shoulder.

"People like us don't belong with people like her," he said gently, "are you sure you want her in our world?"

I shoved past him and the doubts in my mind before I dove between the ropes to get on the ground. I fell in my haste, tripping over my own two feet, but I got right back up and chased after her.

"Satey!"

After I ran down the stairs, bumping into a few pissed off people, I surveyed the room, looking for her familiar golden waves. I spotted them deep within the crowd; she was heading for the door we had come in.

Fear raked my body at the thought of her wandering through the alleyways alone. I was also nervous at the idea of her alone in this place. Those thoughts jolted me forward and I ran towards her, pushing into people.

"Get out of my way!" I yelled as people seemed to be purposefully shoving forward into my path.

"Don't push me, you bastard," a familiar voice snapped.

My head rotated when I froze.

"Payne," he laughed, "fancy seeing you here. I figured you'd be upstairs training for tomorrow night."

"Craig," I seethed.

"Oh," he added with a cocky smirk, "I saw your girl run by here just a few seconds ago. You should keep her on a tighter leash, my friend."

I gritted my teeth and clenched my fist. I wanted to punch him. I wanted to wipe that fucking grin off of his prick face. The only thing that caused me to push on past him was Satey.

When I reached the door, Able was still standing there.

"Where did that girl go?" I demanded

"What?" he asked, obviously confused.

"The girl that I came in with," I said impatiently, "did she come through here?"

"Yeah, just a-"

I cut him off by opening the door and racing into the hallway that led back outside.

"Satey!" I shouted, hoping she could hear me.

The last door burst open with my shove. My first glance was to my care but she wasn't there. The second was to my right. Dead end. I looked to my left and saw the driveway that led in between two rows of buildings.

Would she go in there? After what happened?

I didn't know what she would do when she was scared.

I burst right from my stand to a sprint as I ran through the driveway and hooked a right, seeing her figure turning the corner onto the main road's sidewalk.

"Satey!" I yelled desperately.

I ran as fast as my body would allow, and by the time I had caught up to Satey's retreating form, I was panting. I pulled on her shoulder, forcing her to face me before I kissed her.

I planted my mouth on hers as my chest heaved from the panic and sudden running right after a practice match. I moved my lips roughly against her frozen ones, hoping she would understand why I did what I did by the mere pressure of my kiss.

My hopes were drowned when she pounded on my bare chest, pushing away from my grip.

When I pulled back and looked at her face, a tear had leaked from her eye and was sliding down her perfect cheek.

"You can't keep doing that!" Satey cried, "you can't kiss me when I've run away from you. I want to get away from for a reason!"

I reached out to touch her again, but she stepped back out of my reach.

"Don't touch me," she whispered in a pained voice.

"Are you scared of me?" I asked, my voice soft, but I already knew the answer.

"I am, Liam, but can you blame me?"

"I just... No matter who you see me as when I am just with you, I will always be like that in some part of my body. You needed to know that that's a part of me," it wasn't entirely a lie. I wasn't about to tell her that my whole plan was to scare her away.

"How do I know you won't hurt me?"

I stepped closer to her, relieved she didn't counter with a step back, the pain evident in my voice as I said, "I will never hurt you."

"Will being around you hurt me?"

There was a lurch in my heart at the tone of her voice.

"I won't let anything or anyone hurt you. That's a promise."

"Watching you be relentlessly violent for no reason will hurt me," she whispered, "and it will scare me."

"You don't need to be afraid of me," I murmured, " I want to keep you safe."

I also wanted to kiss her frightened tears away.

"Then why did you bring me here?" she asked defensively, her voice getting louder.

I ran a hand through my hair, hoping I would be able to get to her with my words, "that ring is my life. It's who I am. I'm a fighter, I always will be. I'm a fighter in every aspect of my life. Even with you, Satey," she took a step back as I said it, but I reached down and gripped her hand in mine, "I will fight for you to keep you with me because I want to protect you. I'm not saying you have to come and watch me fight, I won't want you to, I'm saying I wanted you to see who I am inside."

She looked up at me, her eyes brimming with more tears.

"You being pointlessly vicious inside is what scares me," she whispered.

"I do it for a reason," I murmured right after the words were out of her mouth, surprised I uttered the truth, "I fight for a reason."

"What is it then?" she asked in quiet disbelief.

I ran my free hand through my hair again, "I can't... I can't tell you."

"Then I can't-"

"Satey," I begged, hoping the pain in my voice would help her to understand. I didn't come this far to fight for her, only to be denied because of the past I desperately wanted to avoid.

"I can't tell you, but you have to trust me," my voice lowered to a whisper, "please, just trust me."

~~~~~~~~

Sorry this one is so short,

I couldn't wait to update for you all!

Please share this if you like it!!!

As always, comment, vote, fan <3

:* Thank you for reading! :*

~~~~~~~~