29. Confrontation

Oh, don't you just love the concept of time and how quickly it can tick away?

TW: swearing, arguing,

________________________

Three days. That was all they had left. It was getting down to the wire, and they couldn't tell if they were prepared or not. Even Roman's visions weren't giving them a good idea of what was to come, since it would always be the same day but a different vision. The future was changing consistently, with the only constant being the faded color on the isle.

"Janus, what are we doing back here?" Virgil asked as the four walked through the castle. "Why are we walking towards where my mother's hall is?"

"We need answers, Virgil," Janus stated. "And the only way to get answers is to ask someone who was there."

"How do we know she'll even answer our questions?" Remus asked. "I mean, let's face it, if someone came to you and asked about secrets that were buried deep down, would you actually answer the questions? Because I sure as hell wouldn't."

"You have a point." Janus sighed. "But we have no choice. We need to know what we're dealing with. All we know is Madrina is going to do something. We don't know what. We don't know what that something will cause. And the future is changing so much that we don't even have the slightest idea anymore."

"But why does it have to be my mother?" Virgil sighed, shaking his head. "This isn't going to end well. There's a reason she's the Queen of the Dark Kingdom, and it isn't because she's extremely helpful and enjoys answering nosy people's questions."

"Please, Virgil," Janus said. "We need answers, and she's the best way to get them. It was her twin. If anyone knows anything, it will be her."

"Fine," Virgil grumbled. "But if I end up dead because of this I'm going to kill you."

"You're not going to end up-" Janus cut himself off, seeing Maleficent walking down the hallway towards them.

"Strange to see you all here," Maleficent commented. "Virgil, Virgils pet, Remus, Janus."

"Can you stop calling him that? He has a name for fucks sake," Virgil muttered. She looked at him, and then at Roman.

"Oh I see. You took the spell off of him." The missing collar was a dead give away that he wasn't spelled. It had been taken off days ago.

"There wasn't a spell to begin with, but that's not what we're here to talk about." Virgil sighed. "We need to ask you questions."

"About what?"

"Madrina," Janus cut in. "Your twin. Does that ring a bell?" Maleficent had paled.

"I don't know who you're talking about." Her voice shook slightly, giving away her nerves.

"Please, we need answers," Virgil said quietly. "Preferably before the end of the world comes."

~

And that was how they found themselves in Maleficent's sitting room, seated and waiting for her to start speaking again. She had gone mostly silent, clearly deep in thought.

"How did you find out about her?" Maleficent asked at last. "There's nothing left to prove she ever existed, so how do you know?"

"Well, there was something left," Janus stated. "It most likely doesn't exist anymore, however. There was a book in the restricted section of the library that talked about her. So, what can you tell us?"

"She... she was indeed my twin," Maleficent said quietly. "But she was stronger. Her magic was unpredictable, and in the end that's what was her downfall. She didn't have control of her magic. It eventually drove her insane, and everyone had to come together to trap her so she couldn't escape."

"What was the war originally about?" Virgil asked.

"I don't remember," Maleficent said. "The only thing I remember is the guilt that I felt while locking Madrina away. I know she should've been killed. I just could never bring myself to do it."

"Is there any way she could escape?" Roman asked.

"No, there's no way out of her prison. She would have to have help to get the book, and no one in their right mind would help her. It would take a large chance to actually find where the prison is. Therefore, she's not going to escape."

"We hate to be the first to tell you, but she's escaping," Remus said. "Does the summer solstice ring a bell to you?"

"You're trying to tell me that she's going to try and escape in three days. That's.... I can't believe you." She stood up, moving to leave. "I can't believe that she could escape."

"Then answer one final question," Virgil said. "She was pregnant, so what happened to the child?" Maleficent froze.

"I don't know." But they all knew she was lying.

795 words.