16. No Time To Waste

There's nothing like knowing exactly what you want to destroy and just waiting to destroy it.

TW: swearing, mentions of suicide/death, pain,

________________________

"Janus," Virgil said quietly, knocking on the door. "Janus are you there?"

"Virgil?" Janus opened the door with a confused expression. "What's up?"

"He woke up." Janus' eyes widened slightly, but he nodded and followed Virgil back to his room. Roman was sitting up on the bed, his face still wet with tears. He looked up when they entered, glancing at Janus with distrust.

"What's he doing here again?" Roman asked quietly.

"He's here to help," Virgil said softly. "You can trust him. He was there when you fainted, and he's going to help figure out what went wrong with the spell."

"You're Jafar's son, right?" Janus nodded. "That makes sense."

"How are you feeling right now?" Janus asked, sitting down on the end of the bed. Virgil moved to sit next to Roman.

"Awful," Roman said quietly. "My head is throbbing and I can't get the images out of my head. If I didn't have a good reason not to, I would throw myself off of this castle."

"Oh," Janus mumbled. "Well that's not good. Can I ask what you think happened to you?" Roman flinched, subconciously leaning into Virgil. Janus noticed the action, but he knew that there was no reason to point it out. There were more important things to deal with. "I don't need details, since I'm guessing it was traumatic. Just any information you have on what may have happened to you."

"We think it was a vision," Virgil murmured. "Some sort of clairvoyance, showing a date in the future that has yet to pass."

"I see," Janus muttered. He paused in thought for a second. "What if this is a side affect?" Virgil raised an eyebrow at him, so he decided to explain. "You said that the spell was altered. In the regular spell, the magic takes a hold on the person's mind, altering it slightly and changing the person's view. What if in this case, the difference caused Roman's mind to sort of absorb the magic."

"But I'm not magical," Roman said. "I don't have magic. How could I have absorbed it?"

"That's what's so strange about this," Janus said. "There's no reason that you should've. The magic should've latched onto your mind, even if it wasn't exaclty altering it. I think the changes that were made to the spell to give you freedom gave your mind the chance to take the magic. It probably won't manifest into any actual powers like Virgil has, but it could be the cause of the visions."

"So how do we fix it?" Virgil asked.

"That's the thing," Janus said with a sigh. "This is just a theory. I can't say anything for certain. I still don't know why Roman's mind would absorb the magic, nor how it was enough to cause visions. I'm not sure we can fix it, but we can only hope it doesn't get worse."

"I need to be under the spell," Roman said quietly. "That's the only way this will work. Is it safe enough?"

"Roman you don't need to-"

"Is it safe enough?" Roman's voice was completely serious.

"I can't say for sure," Janus said. "I don't know if I could find anything in the library that would know anything about this or not. Magic theory is widely debated. And if I'm going to look.. I need more time."

"How much time?" Virgil asked. They shared a look, decidedly not telling Roman about the memory swipe.

"Give me a week," Janus murmured. "And if I don't have anything after that, then you can do it."

"We can't afford a week," Roman whispered. "You can look, but I'm going back under the spell now. There's no time to waste."

"You're going to have to be careful," Janus said. "Pay attention. If there's too much pain, get out of it. Don't let yourself get hurt for this. Whatever this is. And be careful around Remus. I have a bad feeling that he's going to try something. He hasn't been happy these past few days."

"We'll be careful," Virgil said. "But you need to be careful as well. If anyone finds out... we're all screwed."

"I will be." And just like that, the weight of the world seemed to be on their shoulders. They could only hope it wouldn't crash down upon them.

744 words.