31. Unclean Hands

Yeah that death last chapter was completely unplanned, but then I was writing and decided that I wanted to kill Remus off

TW: swearing, angst, death, blood, gore, stabbing,

________________________

"Patton, run!" Logan shouted. The two were breathing heavily, running away from the gray that seemed to spread everywhere. They knew where it came from. They also saw what it did. "We can't let it touch us!"

"Where are we supposed to go?!" Patton asked frantically. "Everything is being turned! What if the entire isle gets covered? We don't have a way off!"

"Keep running, we'll worry about that later!" The gray was moving quickly, meaning the two had to keep running. If they paused it could catch them, and then they would die like the countless others who had dropped dead behind them.

They were quickly running out of isle to run on, however. Ahead of them were the old ruins, and Logan realized that the gray was coming from every side now. They would have to enter the ruins.

"Quick, inside the ruins!" Logan exclaimed. They both ran in, dodging the crumbled rocks on the floor and any falling debris. It was dangerous normally, but now it was insane. After all, it was past midnight, and they were in ruins that could collapse at any moment.

"Logan, look," Patton called out, his voice full of awe and fear. "It stopped."

Logan looked, and sure enough, the gray had stopped approaching. It froze right at the edge of the ruins, creating a safety bubble, yet trapping them inside. It was still up in the air how safe the bubble really was.

"We may have made a mistake," Logan mumbled. "Why the hell did we bring the book back to her after what we read in it?"

"Because she would've been suspicious," Patton said. "And we still didn't know what was going to happen."

"You're right." Logan sighed. "God, what the hell is happening? What is all of this? Everyone is probably dead at this rate. What are we going to do? We're trapped here, with no help coming for us. No one will even know that we're alive."

"Are we sure that we're trapped?" Patton asked. "What if we throw one of the plants out into the gray and see if it dies? If it doesn't then maybe we're safe out there now."

"That's... that's a really good idea." Logan grabbed one of the vines and threw it into the gray, watching closely. The gray overcame it, killing it. He sighed. "Well, that was a good idea. But now we're definitely trapped."

"This... this is going to suck," Patton muttered. "We can't leave, and who knows what she's getting up to now."

"Nothing good by the looks of things." There was the sound of someone walking towards the ruins. "And that might be her. We need to hide."

"But where? The ruins are dangerous at night."

"The ruins are always dangerous." Logan shrugged. "This is just a little spice to it I guess."

They moved away from the edge of the ruins, moving carefully and quietly. They had to watch for any falling debris, but if they didn't move fast enough the lady might catch them, and after all of this they didn't think that would be a very good idea.

The two emerged into an area with a ton of fallen columns. It looked to be a large room, but most of it was collapsed.

"Quick, let's hide behind one of the columns," Logan whispered. "I can here her getting closer." They hid behind one just in time.

"Come out, come out, wherever you are." Except the voice wasn't the magic lady's. It was much more masculine. Logan had no idea how the person had managed to get into the ruins, since nothing could touch the gray. "I couldn't be bothered to look for you myself, so one of my puppets can do the work."

Puppets? That didn't make sense. The voice wasn't the lady's, and yet it was talking as if it was. Something magical had to be going on, because Logan had no other explanation for what was happening.

He glanced over at Patton, who looked absolutely terrified. The footsteps were getting closer and closer, pacing around the room and checking every possible hiding spot. It would only be a matter of time before they were found.

Logan's eyes saw an object on the ground and widened. It might not work, but it was a chance. And a chance was better than nothing.

"Found you." Logan glanced up, seeing the smirking face of the person who had been searching for them. Before they had time to do anything else, Logan picked up the object and stabbed it straight through their throat.

It had been a glass shard, long and sharp. The glass cut cleanly, making the person choke as their blood flooded their airway. They dropped to the ground, choking as Patton and Logan just stared at the body in shock. Then it was silent.

"What did you just do?" Patton asked, his voice a terrified whisper.

"I have no idea," Logan said quietly. His hands were covered in the blood. "But I hope that it won't have to happen again."

876 words.