3. Friend From The Other Side

Ah, I do just love knowing what I'm going to do is going to make several people mad at a character, and possibly hate a few characters, but this is just fun for me.

Merry Christmas, have a surprise update as a gift.

TW: swearing, implied homophobia,

________________________

"What do you want, Roman?" the teacher asked. Roman knew it probably wouldn't be a good idea to ask the question, but ever since meeting Virgil it had plagued his mind.

"I have a question," Roman said. The teacher sighed.

"Then ask."

"Why isn't there some sort of status system on the isle?" The room went silent at Roman's question, staring at him with shock. Even the teacher looked shocked.

"Well, it would be selfish to-"

"But it wouldn't," Roman stated. "It's order, not selfishness. Sure, someone might want the power for selfish reasons, but not having it just means there's no order."

"Out," the teacher said quietly. "Get out of this room. I don't want to see you back here."

For the second time in two days Roman walked out of the room, except this time there was no laughter behind him. There was only silence.

~

"Why did you ask that question?" Logan asked. The three friends were once again sitting in the library for their free hour. "Out of anyone, I didn't expect you to be the one to finally ask. So why did you do it?"

"I met someone," Roman said. "He made me curious."

"We already know that you're gay, but you don't have to word it like that," Patton said. "Plus, you might want to be quiet about that. Even though we know you're gay and are fine with it because we are, too, you know how everyone here feels about it."

"That wasn't what I meant, and yeah, I know," Roman said. "I just meant that he made me question things, that's all."

"Who did you meet?" Logan asked. His eyes darkened when Roman wouldn't meet his eyes and didn't answer. "Roman, who did you meet?"

"I met someone from the other side," Roman whispered. "He was beautiful."

"You can't go falling for someone from outside the barrier," Logan said in a hushed whisper. "You know there's no way you'll get out of here. There's no way off. I've looked everywhere, but I still can't figure out why we're trapped but there's still some magic. This is impossible, Roman."

"I know," Roman muttered. "I'm perfectly happy here. It's fine. I know there's no way out. I'm fine. I've known that all my life."

"Still, people do get out," Patton said with a soft sigh. "Still, it won't be us. We aren't what they'd call villains. Making it out is out of the question."

"You never said who you met," Logan said. His eyes narrowed as he looked at Roman questioningly, but Roman wouldn't meet his eyes. "I'm sure you got the name. Who was it?"

"It's not important."

~

"Why are you here again?" Roman asked. He had stepped into his alley short cut, and once again Virgil was there.

"Why wouldn't I be?" Virgil asked. That same confident smirk was on his face. "You sound like you want to get rid of me."

"You're the prince," Roman deadpanned. "Do you really think you'll get a warm welcome here? We're taught to fear you. Actually, no. We're taught to hate you all, except they don't form it like that. They pin everything that happened on you, and despite history being wrote by the victors, the only history here is wrote by the ones in control. They claim they aren't, but they are. We are made to hate every single villain, if only for the fact that we're stuck while you're free. It's not right, and it's not as moral as they claim it is, but that is how it is."

"You don't sound very happy here," Virgil observed. "It's a lot worse than what we're told, you know."

"Of course I'm not happy here." Roman sighed, smiling sadly. "There's no way out for most of us. We're left to rot here and even the adults don't care. Any paper we have is used to print more copies of morals, and there's a strict moral code that we're forced to memorize over and over again. The adults act like the saviors, but sometimes they seem worse than the villains we're told about."

"They're not nearly as moral as they like to say," Virgil stated. "They've done some pretty terrible things. I think most would want to leave more if they found out what exactly people here have done. Even your parents."

"Wait- what?"

776 words.