ii. a sun summoner

ii. a sun summoner
randvi

THE MIRACLE, as it turned out, was not down to divine intervention but due to a merchants greed.

Randvi wasn't entirely sure of the role she played in Kaz's scheme. At first she thought it had something to do with fortunes, but with a heartrender accompanying them, that now seemed unlikely. Part of her wanted to think Kaz didn't trust the heartrender with being truthful, and needed her there to seek the truth, but Randvi wasn't entirely sure that Kaz trusted her more than he would a stranger.

The mansion they arrived at was beautiful, but what else would you expect from one of Ketterdam's wealthiest merchants? Velvet plastered the walls, with every inch of its surface being decorated with intricate paintings hanging inside golden frames. Crystal chandeliers hung from the ceilings, and almost every table had a vase housing orchids. This was how the other half lived. Randvi had never seen such wealth close up, having only come into contact with it during robberies which allowed little time for gawking.

Randvi trailed behind Kaz as the group made their way towards a large room at the end of a corridor, glancing over her shoulder every few steps. If this was a trap she wanted as much of an advantage as she could get. It also gave her an excuse to scope out anything she could hide away under her jacket and steal.

"Don't touch anything when we get inside." Kaz's voice rang through the silence, causing Jesper to scoff.

"I wasn't going to-"

"Not you, Jesper. Randvi."

But before Randvi had the chance to defend herself, the doors to the room swung open and Kaz disappeared inside. Stood behind a wooden desk was an older looking man with an incredibly curly moustache. Whatever the merchant was hiding must have been worth its weight in gold as stood in every corner of the room were more guards.

What had Kaz gotten her into?

"One look and I can tell. Criminals." Laughed Dressen, resting his hands against the surface of his desk.

Randvi let a quiet laugh fall from her lips at his words. Was there really a difference between what the merchant and Kaz did? They both exploited others for their own greed, it was just merchants did it in the shadows. The smile on her face was soon wiped off by a stare from both Kaz and Dressen.

"What's so funny?"

It took an awful lot for Randvi to bite back a reply, and just shrugg at the mans question. She knew how much the job meant to Kaz, so didn't dare spoil it by trying to snap back a witty reply. Randvi decided it best to distract herself. Besides, she had never been one for business talk. Perhaps that what made her so bad at dealing with her debts.

Dragging her fingers across the velvet walls, and feeling the texture of the paint on several paintings, she stopped at a table. There lay several bottles of whiskey in crystal glasses, but besides that was something much more valuable. At first she'd though she had imagined it, but with a second look, her eyes had not deceived her.