xlii. my hajefetla, my songbird

xlii. my hajefelta, my songbird
– Randvi

          "STAY BEHIND, RANDVI. You're just a distraction, Randvi." Ranted Randvi, pacing backwards and forwards over the cracked stones of the crypt. "Does he even know me?!"

Nina watched on from the floor where she lay somewhat comfortably on a pile of old blankets and flat pillows, tugging a loose thread with her fingers. A grin was plastered on her lips. Randvi had been repeating the same few words for almost an hour, sometimes mocking Kaz's voice, other times stopping to kick an already cracked tomb.

"The poor fellow in that tomb wants to enjoy his death in peace. I don't think he appreciates being kicked." Nina teased.

"It's not like I spent years of my life training and fighting." She continued, oblivious to Nina's remarks. "I have a power that could topple entire nations and he treats me like I'm some cursed vase he's scared of chipping! So now I'm stuck babysitting three lost Grisha!"

"Randvi the Nursemaid sounds better than Randvi the Great," Nina said. "But don't count me and Jakov in your babysitting list. We're older!"

"That's even worse!"

"I think he's just trying to protect you–"

"I don't need protecting Jakov! I want to be doing something. I want to help Inej, I want to make sure everyone's okay. I want to– Djel, I want to destroy everyone that's ever wronged me!"

Randvi kicked a rogue pebble in frustration. She could feel her feet itching, willing to be on the cobbled streets of Ketterdam, or fields of dewy grass, or fresh snow or soft sand. She needed to do something, to be of use. And yet here she was, wasting away on an island of death. She feared she'd become just another body if she remained on the island any longer.

By now Jesper must have found his father, had a reunion Randvi could have only dreamed of. Why couldn't she be there to see it? Why wouldn't Kaz let her tag along anywhere?

Because Pekka will be looking for you.

Then I guess I should pay him a visit first.

A cool draft danced through the thick stone walls of the crypt, lifting some stray hairs. Randvi released a deep sigh, closing her eyes. She was finally falling apart. She needed to be strong for everyone, to fill the gap Inej had left. But it was too much.

"The sooner we get Inej back and Kaz's damn kruge the better. And I want you on the first ship back to Ravka and far away from me." She pointed an accusatory finger at Jakov.

"Why do you hate me so much?"

"Your face annoys me."

Randvi was lying, she rather liked Jakov's face.