xx. everyone has their reasons

– Kaz

KAZ Brekker didn't need a reason.

And Dirtyhands needed even less. Whether it be forge a new alliance, kill a member of his own gang, he would do it. No hesitation. He was willing to do what no other man would, it had become part of the myth he'd created for himself. He was someone to be respected, someone to be feared in Ketterdam. Only there was one person that did not seemed to buy into the myth of Dirtyhands.

Kaz didn't need a reason to visit Randvi, and yet he had a thousand.

Randvi hadn't been hard to track down. All it had taken was Inej to ask a group of newly arrived Kaelish immigrants and snoop around a room she had once rented from an old lady by the name of Elin, who had since mysteriously vanished. Kaz suspected Pekka had something to do with the landlady's disappearance – ever since Randvi hadn't returned from Ravka Pekka had been more brutal than usual. As far as he was concerned now, Randvi was as good as dead.

There was little anger for what had happened years ago. The two were even – he had betrayed Randvi, and she the same. Besides, as much as he hated to admit it, he needed her to join his crew on their mission to the Ice Court.

Kaz didn't much trust Matthias, a Druskelle Nina had been hell set on freeing in order to join his crew. And although he did not trust Randvi much either, he trusted her a whole lot more than the Druskelle. With Matthias, there was always the chance he would rat them out to the Fjerdan's the moment they set foot in the nation, but Randvi never would. Even in spite of the amount she hated him, she would always hate the Druskelle more.

Randvi had changed.

He could tell just from the way she held herself when they locked eyes for the first time in years. Her words had more of a bite, her eyes blazing like fire beneath the heavy black soot surrounding them. And yet, she was still the same unpredictable girl he had once known.

After sending Matthias first to meet her, Kaz was not sure whether she would have killed him on the spot or not. Around Randvi, Kaz was never sure of himself, never knowing if he were right or wrong. She was a challenge, a puzzle he desperately wanted to solve.

Ketterdam hadn't been the same without her.

Kaz followed behind his crew as they began making their way up towards a small wooden house on the edge of a forest. The group were introducing themselves, and from behind them Kaz could hear Jesper telling her all about what she'd missed, the ambush back in Ketterdam where they'd almost lost Inej, and how Kaz had pulled out Oomen's eye then thrown him overboard. To his surprise, Randvi was even talking to Nina, a heartrender.