45│HUNGOVER AT COP CON

▲ ▼ ▲ ▼ ▲ ▼

▲ ▼ ▲ ▼ ▲ ▼

"Is everyone packed for the 28th annual Tri-State Police Officers Convention? I hear Bill Powell's giving a lecture on advances in appellate court e-filing techniques. Phew, talk about 'can't miss'," Raymond smiled excitedly.

Jake chuckled at the Captain's assumption that they cared about the convention. "Yeah, we don't really go for the talks. We're more interested in the extracurriculars."

"Of course," Raymond nodded knowingly, "Rochester has much to offer in that sphere. For instance, it's famed thermometer museum."

"Thermometer museum?" Jake scoffed, "Uh, no thanky. Here's what a-we are all about. One, free hotel rooms."

"I get to sleep in a bed by myself. No wife, no kids, just Terry starfishing on a Cal King," Terry sighed dreamily, already picturing the bed.

"Two, a huge hall full of cool police tech," Jake continued.

"Last year, I got to try out a heat ray," Rosa smiled proudly, thinking of this year's cool tech.

"Three, the Buffalo P.D. aka the Buffalo Party Department, always throws an insane party. Last year, Amy got so drunk, she jumped a police horse into the pool," Jake laughed.

"Eight-drink Amy is an equestrian," Amy explained and frowned, "And she's real bad at it."

"It's okay, babe," Adam tried to hide his laugh as he wrapped an arm around her shoulders.

Raymond sighed and shook his head. "This isn't an excuse for you to party. This is a police convention, not the Newport Folk Festival."

"Come on, sir. It's been a hard year. I mean, frankly, we could all use a party to blow off some steam. First we were on the night shift, then the precinct almost got shut down."

"Well, we have been through a lot, but, frankly, our reputation has taken a hit. That's why I'm running for a seat on the convention's board of directors. If I win, it will look good for the precinct. So please don't do anything to jeopardize that. Understood? Dismissed."

"That's a big ole bummer," Charles complained once Raymond left the briefing room.

"All right, everybody, just relax. We're still gonna have a great time. If there's one thing I know, it's how to sneak out to a party without your parents finding out. I used to do it all the time.

The 99 all gave him dry looks, clearly, no one believed him.

"Well, I did it a few times," Again, he was met with raised brows. He sighed, "Once, to go to a Magic: the Gathering tournament."

"I know you so there has to be more," Natasha chuckled and motioned for him to continue.

"I got stuck in the window like Winnie-the-Pooh. There, okay? Now you know everything."