Chapter 9: Comfort

3 months later...

Third POV

Natasha was in the control room, still searching for any sign of Hydra. Y/n could be anywhere and she wasn't giving up. Tony and Steve tried to tell her it was too late and that the best was to accept she wasn't coming back. But she could still feel her hands warmth. The comfort she got when they would hold hands to teleport, even if it was the first and last time.

Y/n POV

I saw a red light and I carefully opened my eyes looking up at the bright sun. I quickly closed them and slowly stood up. I didn't remember much but somehow I had a huge headache and I felt dizzy.

I rubbed my eyes and tried to keep myself from falling. I only saw dirt. There were no buildings, no cars, and not a single person in sight. My throat felt dry and the wave of heat wasn't making it better.

I followed my gut telling me to keep going straight. I tried my best to keep going, dragging my feet wanting to give up and just collapse. But I kept going taking deep breaths as I felt sweat trickling down my face.

As I was walking, I tried to remember what had happened because my mind was blank. Pain. I just remembered pain. Pain was all I felt. Pain was all I knew. Nothing else but pain.

"Pain." I let out in a raspy whisper.

I was getting tired of walking. Who knew how long I had been walking. It could've been hours or minutes but it felt like days. I finally looked up and saw a huge building with the letter A at the top. A smile crept on my lips as I let out a sigh and stopped walking. I stood there admiring the view.

As I started to walk again and was getting closer, my legs grew weaker. I had no more energy. All of a sudden I blacked out.

Third POV

Y/n had collapsed near the compound. Her dehydration and state were not helpful in this situation. The walk took about 3 hours and she was right, it seemed like days. But not just to her, to Natasha as well.

Hours and hours standing by the monitor checking for any updates. Sometimes she wouldn't eat, talk, or have hygiene. She hated being dirty but she couldn't find the energy to even brush her teeth sometimes.

The guys were getting worried and tried to help her but she refused. Natasha was just angry at them for giving up so easily. Even if she wasn't officially a member of the team, they could've at least helped y/n out of this dangerous situation.

It was a little over 6:40pm and the sun was setting. She was going outside for fresh air beside the lake. She stood there admiring the calmness and sounds nature created. She closed her eyes as the breeze flowed through her red hair. A tear fell down her left cheek as she got reminded of y/n's presence. Every time she was beside her, she felt comfort. This was how she made her feel but she was too stubborn to admit.

She opened her eyes again followed by a sigh because she had to go back inside and check on updates. As she turned around, there was something that caught her attention beside the road. It wasn't that far away but not too close either. Natasha thought it looked like a body but just assumed it was a dog napping. However, she couldn't fight the urge to get closer and find out.

It was still bright enough to see clearly so she tried to hurry before it got darker. Alas, she stood beside the body and realized it was a human body but she had to find out if it was alive or dead. She tapped it a few times on the shoulder, but there was no response. The body was laying face down so she couldn't see the person clearly. She grabbed the wrist and put her two fingers on the wrist searching for a pulse. She found one but it was really weak.