Chapter 26: Valentine

Time Skip: 1 year later

02/14/2015

I just woke up. It is currently 5 in the morning, and I'm preparing something for Nat. It's our first Valentine's Day, and I want it to be special. So I'm going to make some pancakes with strawberry toppings. She loves when I cook for her, so I hope she enjoys this as well. But I need to leave right now if I want to pick some flowers before she wakes up.

---- ---- ----

I quietly opened the door to our place and placed my keys on the kitchen countertop. I had a Rose bouquet in my hands and a small plastic bag. I put them down on the kitchen table and made my way into the room to wake up Nat. I checked in, and she was still sleeping. She looked so peaceful, breathing and enjoying her dreams.

I admired her for a few more seconds before going back to the kitchen and starting to prepare the pancakes.

I finished up and set the food upon the table with the bouquet in the middle. Then, I nervously made my way back to the room to wake her up. However, when I walked in, she wasn't in bed anymore. "Nat?" I called for her. "Surprise." Nat startled me.

I turned around, and she was coming out of the bathroom. I gawked at her. "What? I had to clean myself up before my little surprise." She walked up to me and kissed me. I pulled away. "Wait, how did you-"

"I'm a spy. You really thought I wouldn't have woken up from all that noise you were making in the kitchen?" She had her hands around my shoulders. I rolled my eyes. "You could have at least pretended," I whined as Nat continued giving me small kisses around my face.

She pushed me down the bed. "I have a different surprise in mind," she said in my ear with a smoky voice. "Yeah, well, my surprise can wait." I cleared my throat. As Nat continued, there was a sudden alarm. "Oh great, now what," I spoke out loud.

"Mission Alert. Suit Up. Meet at Quinjet in 10. Mission Alert. Suit Up. Meet at Quinjet in 10." Jarvis reported.

Nat stood up and helped me up from the bed. "But what about the pancakes I made you?" I told Nat as she grabbed our suits. "To go?" She answered as she handed me my black cloak. "I wanted this morning to be special." I wrapped my cloak around and put on my black boots. Nat had her black widow suit on and was ready to go. "Hey," she stopped me before heading out. "We'll have many mornings together," she looked at me with her hands beside my temple. "Okay," I whispered. "Be careful out there. I love you," she pulled me in for a quick kiss. "I love you more," I replied with a smile.

--- --- ---

The Quinjet landed safely at a distance of a Hydra base in Sokovia.

Natasha drove a military-like vehicle and I was her passenger. She drove at full speed as we punched soldiers out the way. We got to a certain point and jumped out of the vehicle. Tony made his way up the base but was hit against a shield protecting it. "Shit," Tony shouted. "Language," Steve responded.

Natasha was now on foot defeating several German soldiers. "Damn, that never gets old." I tell her as I knock out some soldiers myself. "Focus," she glanced at me with a smirk. "Wait a second. No one else is gonna deal with the fact that Cap just said "Language?"" Tony said. "I know," Cap responded as he threw his motorcycle at several soldiers. "Just slipped out."

"Clint!" Natasha shouted as she heard him get hit. She ran to him and tried helping him out. "Is he okay?" I shouted. "What do you think, y/n?" Clint grunted. "Clint's hit pretty bad guys." Nat said.

I continued hitting several soldiers until I saw a blue blur run across the field. "I got eyes on the enhanced." I whisper as I take my cloak around my shoulders. Invisibility engaged. Then I walk towards the boy who's standing beside a tree. I'm about to grab his arm when he speeds away. "Shit," I murmured. "And for gosh sake, watch your language!," Tony mimicked. "Guys, he has speed powers," I interrupted. Invisibility disengaged.

"Hey, big guy. Sun's getting real low," Natasha calmly spoke to the Hulk. The Hulk growled and then calmed down once Nat raised her hand. They had their moment in order to bring Banner back. I approached Nat and she had a smirk on her face. "What?" I furrowed my brows. Then I realized what she thought I was feeling. "Oh no, I am not jealous," I chuckled. "We both know who the jealous one is." I whisper into her ear. "You know we can still hear you," Steve suddenly responded. I widened my eyes at smiling Nat.

--- --- ---

We got in the Quinjet to make our way back to the compound. Nat sat next to Banner talking about their lullaby strategy. I sat across from them, trying not to interrupt, but glanced a couple times. "Not the jealous kind, huh?" Steve sat next to me as I turned to face him, "Nope. Are you?" I teased. "Hey, don't turn this on me," he chuckled. "I think that answers my question," I laugh. Nat heard me, and raised her eyebrow at me. "Steve, you better run," I joked. "Good thing we're here."

Nat accompanied Clint to the lab and I made my way to our room to change clothes. I pulled out the bag from earlier and took out the small box. I opened it to make sure the necklace was still there. The necklace was silver with a green gem as the pendant and our anniversary date on the back. I put it back in the box and placed it in my pocket.

I went back to the lab. "Nat?" I called for her. She looked at me confused and walked out to meet me out the hallway. "Everything okay?" She asked. I didn't say anything, but grabbed her hand and took her out to the roof. She didn't say anything as well, and the tension was felt throughout the way. We made it to the roof and I grabbed her other hand so we were now facing each other. "Okay, I don't want to be cheesy, so I'm just going to be forward." I smiled nervously. I looked up at her. "Stop looking at me like that," I sighed and then she chuckled. "You look too cute," she smiled.

I pulled out the box and her smile went away, "y/n."

"Don't worry, I'm not proposing," I nervously chuckled. "What?" she tried to shake it off.

I opened the box and picked up the necklace. I went around her and placed the necklace around her neck. She grabbed the pendant, "It's beautiful." She turned around and pulled me into a gentle kiss. "Yeah, I was supposed to give it to you this morning, but maybe this isn't bad," I said as we looked at the sunset. "I love you," Nat grabbed my hand.

"I love you more," I replied.