Chapter 21: Fault

C/n was placed on an electric chair. She was tied down as a scientist was analyzing her brain scans. Another scientist grabbed her arm and shot a serum into her veins. She started having small flashbacks from the first time she got captured.

The flashback consisted of her being with her mom, on the day of her mother's death. It was a horrible day.
Y/n and her mom were in their house, which was located on the mountain tops. It was a comfortable home, just her and her mother in a small house with one room, a small bathroom, a small wooden kitchen, a small living room, and a backyard. Her favorite place in the house was the kitchen. She would wake up almost every morning to cook breakfast for her mother. She loved experimenting with different foods and it made her happy. Sometimes she would make horrible recipes, but her mother wouldn't care.

It was winter season, and there was heavy snow that day. The tree branches clung from the heavyweight of the snows. The sky was dark and the strong wind was starting. It was too cold to play outside so they played bored games beside the fireplace. "Mom!" Y/n whined that her mother had won yet another round. Her mother left out a burst of laughter as she stood to go to the kitchen and make some tea. She grabbed the teapot and filled it with water. As she turned on the stove, there was a loud heavy knock at the door. "I got it!" Y/n stood up and jogged to the door. Her mother always told her to check before opening the door, so that's what she did. She looked through the peephole and saw two tall men who were wearing a black coat, black scarves, and black sunglasses. They looked pale, but although it was freezing outside, they stayed still with no shivers.

She had an uneven feeling in her gut so she ran back to the kitchen. "Mom?" y/n called and started describing the men but her mother's smile dropped as her breath hitched. "Y/n I need you to go in the room and hide where I told you." Her mother grabbed her small head and looked into her eyes. "I'll be back, okay." She kissed her forehead and y/n ran to the small room. She ducked under the bed and lifted a piece of wood. She climbed into the hole and pulled the wooden piece back in place above her body. It was dark and crowded, all she could hear were her small breaths coming out her mouth. It was silent for a moment but another knock came from the living room.

Her mother turned off the stove and approached the door. She took a deep breath before opening the door. The two men removed their glasses and glanced inside the house. "Good evening, Ms. Maximoff." The man on the right said with a grin. "It's L/n" She corrected. "What do you guys want?" She asked in a hurried voice as she looked around. "We came for her." The man on the left sounded rougher. "She's not here," she looked angrily at both the men.

"Is that so?" A man became visible, he had a familiar deep voice and he appeared out of nowhere. He slowly approached the woman and stormed past her inside the house. "She's not here!" the woman called out from the doorway. The man turned around and slapped the woman. "Nonsense! Where is she!" he said raucously. The woman had her face to the side after the slap, but she brought it up and made a small tilt as she gave him a blank stare.

"Please, you don't intimidate me L/n." He stared back. "Or should I say Magik." The woman didn't live that life anymore and when she heard that name come from his mouth, she brought up her hand, and twirls of white magic surrounded her fingers. She flicked her hand and threw the man across the room. The man gave an evil laugh as he stood up and sped back to the woman. He caught her off guard and put his hands on her chest. The woman let out a pained yelp.

Y/n heard this from the room. At first, she was going to jump out and help her mother out, but her voice kept repeating in her head. I'll be back. She heard another crash from the living room and couldn't stay still. She pushed the wooden piece off and climbed out under her bed. "Mom!"

As she entered the living room, she saw a man she hadn't seen before pressing her mother down on the floor. "Y/n! Get out of here. Run!" Her mother was struggling to say the words. "No, mom, no," she quavered as her eyes started to water. "This is her" The man stood up releasing his hands from the woman's chest as he approached young y/n. "NO, Stay away from her!" Her mother tried stopping him with her magic but the speed god grabbed his special cuffs from his vehicle and cuffed the woman's hands in an instant.

"Mom" y/n whispered. "Don't be scared, my child." He grabbed her chin and gave her a mischievous look. Y/n glanced at her mom, who was on her knees as tears filled her face. The men holding her down as well. Her mother looked up at her and looked into each other's eyes. Y/n looked for approval and shortly after, her mother gave her a single nod.

Her mother had taught her to control her powers. This was her opportunity to showcase her improvements and powers. She had to focus on one thing to wake up her inner powers. She looked around but the only thing she could concentrate on were those evil eyes in front of her face. The hatred of the man filled her veins and she turned her expression from an innocent girl to a hostile powerful woman. The man saw the look on the girl's face and smirked at the view. "Just like her father."

This made y/n furious. Her body started getting surrounded by electricity. This was the first stage of her powers. The man felt his fingers get electrified and removed them right away. He was intrigued at where this was going so he stood back looking as y/n got stronger. Electricity came out of her hands and she had a ball formed around herself. She grunted as she couldn't handle the pain that came with the power.

She traced her eyes back to her mother. Her mother had a proud expression on her face. But before y/n could explode her powers, her mother gazed at her and mouthed the words, I love you. Followed by a weak smile and a few tears. She never took her eyes off her meanwhile y/n took in the words she read from her mother's lips and closed her eyes. A few tears trickled down her cheeks and her purple ray of power exploded throughout the house. She screamed in agony and fell to her knees. The speed god rushed out the radius before he could get hit by the explosion. The electricity destroyed everything in its way.

As for y/n, she had let out all her power and fell to the ground crying in agony. Not for the physical pain, but for the loss of her mother. She felt her heart bleed from the view of her mother lying unconscious on the floor. Y/n crawled towards her mother and laid next to her. "Mom" she called her one last time and closed her mother's eyelids as she wiped the tears off her mother's cheeks.

She wrapped her arms around her mother and held her tightly, sniffling, and grasping this last moment. Suddenly, the speed god rushed in and grabbed y/n by the waist. "No!" y/n screamed and kicked her legs trying to escape from the man's arms. The speed god rushed her out the ruins of the house and traveled to his Hydra base.

_____

"No!" Y/n opened her eyes and punched the scientist off her. She sat up on her chair and huffed heavily looking at the shield agent who had a gun pointed at her. Pierce walked in shortly after, "Mission report." Y/n stared blankly across the room with no expression. "Mission report now," Pierce demanded. Y/n ignored him and stared soullessly trying to comprehend her flashback and the recent mission. Pierce approached her and slapped her across her face. She got brought back to reality and looked at the man in front of her. "The woman on the bridge," she said, "Who is she?" She asked with furrowed eyes looking at Pierce. "You must be confused. I need you to focus on this mission. You and the winter soldier have to complete it so Hydra can get the freedom we all deserve. I need you to do your part in this. Don't be making false claims and start being more tactical with the winter soldier, because you guys got messy." Pierce sat in front of her. "But I knew her," she said quietly with a short wistful expression.

Pierce stood up and ordered the scientist to start over and wipe her. The scientists approached her and pushed her back to lean in the chair. She got tied back with the robotic gear and some kind of device wrapped around her head. She felt the pain coming. The shock sent through her body made her clench her teeth. She let out an internal scream. She had tense muscles and her breathing was heavy.

She stared at the ceiling. She tried to hang on the picture she had of Natasha but it slowly erased from her memory.