In The Glade

I was going to start a new life. I didn't know, but everything would change on this day. I opened my eyes. It felt like I was going up in a lift. I looked around but the only thing I could see was the darkness. I felt dizzy. Where was I? I thought to myself. I heard chains moving like in an old mineshaft. I moved my legs up tight to my body. I was scared. I sat there and waited for something to happen. My name is Addison. I thought. It was weird because this was the only thing I knew. I tried to remember things, but I only saw flaws of people in white suits. I tried to think about how I came here but didn't remember a thing. I didn't even remember my last name. I tried to think of a familiar face, something that could make me remember somewhat from where I came from. A long time passed. Seconds felt like minutes and minutes felt like hours. It seemed like an eternity. With a groan the rising room stopped. The sudden change threw me to the other side of the room. Everything went silent. I stood up and looked to see if there was a way out. I yelled and slammed the walls. Nothing. I sat back down in the corner again. I shivered, I was scared. "Someone... help me."I screamed, but there wasn't a response. Suddenly a straight line of light appeared above me. Double sliding doors opened. The light stabbed in my eyes. I covered them with my hands. I heard noises and voices above me. Someone jumped in the cage with me. I backed off to the wall. "What a shank." I heard someone say. Shank? I thought to myself. I never heard such a word. "Guys... it's a girl."

The blond haired guy who was standing in the cage was looking at me. I looked around, the only thing I saw were boys. I was hit by confusion. All the boys were teens, some younger, some older. Some of my fear melted away knowing they were my age. The guy grabbed my hand. "I'm Newt, welcome to the glade greenie." he said while helping me up. "I'm..." I tried to remember my name, but I couldn't. How could I forget my name? I thought. "I don't know my name." I said. "Don't worry that will come, we all started here." Newt said. "Let me help you up." He climbed out of the cage and helped me. I stood in the grass. I felt the sun shining on my skin. I rotated in a small circle. I was surrounded by walls. There were at least 40 boys. I tried to see if there was a single girl, but there wasn't. The place was the size of a football field. The walls were made of gray stone, covered with ivy. "Nice to meet you, shank," a dark-skinned guy said walking up to me. "My name is Alby; I'm the leader here." I shook his hand. "Where am I?" I was surprised by hearing my own voice for the first time. "Nowhere good," Alby said. I heard the boys whispering about me. Different emotions raged inside of me. I concentrated on studying the place Alby called the glade again. An odd wooden building was standing in one of the corners and a few trees surrounded it. Another corner holds gardens, from where I was looking I saw tomato plants and some fruit trees. Across the courtyard there were sheep, cows and pigs. A mixture of smell hit me. Dirt, pine and something rotten I could tell. I scanned a few of the guys' faces. At one guy my eyes stopped, his eyes were flared with hate and he had dark hair. When I looked at him, I saw a small grin before he walked away.

The leader of the group walked towards me. He was wearing pretty normal clothes. Black T-shirt, jeans, tennis shoes and a watch. "It's a long story." the boy named Alby said. "But you will learn it piece by piece, me and Newt will take you on a tour tomorrow." I looked at him and the guy next to him. That was Newt. "Come with me then you can rest a bit." Newt said. I walked with him to a tree, and we sat down. "You're doing pretty good for a greenie," Newt said."Most people run away or start crying." "What's a greenie?" I asked him while looking him in the eyes. He quickly looked away. "Every month there comes a box with a new person, a greenie. But it's never been a girl." He said. "So I'm the only girl here?" I said pretty scared. "Yes you are, but don't worry we will take care of you." he said with a smile. The smile made me feel comfortable, maybe this wasn't so bad after all. "Why can't I remember anything?" I asked. "No one can, after a day of two you'll remember your name, till then we call you greenie." he said. I smiled.