Chapter 34

It was around two days later when Jack next heard from Alex.

The evening's show had been insane, and Jack was now feeling exhausted.

Everyone had gone out for drinks to celebrate but he'd decided to head back to the hotel and try and catch up on some sleep. The lavender tea was working wonders, but it was also proving to him just how bad a state his body was actually in.

He was standing in his pyjamas looking out of the hotel window whilst he waited for the kettle to boil, his phone pressed firmly to his ear. "They've actually started camping outside the hotel now!" He exclaimed, looking down at the ever-expanding city of tents below him. The hotel staff didn't seem to know what to do about it.

"You're kidding me?" Josh laughed from the other end.
"Nope. Looks like a homeless community or something. It's insane!"
"Well take it as a compliment. They love you guys." Jack couldn't really argue with that.

"I know but don't they have, like, lives to live?" He headed over to the now boiled kettle as Josh continued to laugh. "Clearly you are more important than their lives." Jack laughed.
"Stroke my ego much more and I won't be able to fit through doorways."
"Oh, so you are actually aware you have one of those?" Josh teased. "Fuck off."

A knock at the door caught his attention and he frowned in confusion. He hadn't been expecting company.

"I'm glad to hear you're trying to get back on track," Josh told him as he placed his mug on the coffee table and headed to the door. "Yeah, I guess having fans starting to worry gave me the kick up the ass I needed." He could hear Josh laughing as he opened the door.

His eyes widened in shock as they took in the caramel-haired lad standing in his doorway. "Is now a bad time?"

Jack blinked at him in total disbelief, completely missing what Josh had been saying in the process.

"Jack?"
"I'll call you back." He immediately hung up on the Brit. He'd apologise and explain later.

He stepped back and wordlessly let Alex in. He went and sat on the couch whilst Jack remained by the door, watching him in confusion and amazement. He was struggling to believe this was real.

"What is that?" He asked, nose wrinkling as he stared suspiciously into Jack's mug. "Lavender tea." He mumbled, wondering idly if this was a weirdly realistic dream. Alex's eyebrow furrowed as he looked at him like he'd lost it. "What?"
"It helps me sleep."

Alex sat back, scratching awkwardly at the back of his neck. Jack stayed put, feeling completely blindsided.

"You know when Vic told me what a state you were in, I didn't believe him." Jack remained silent; he really didn't know what to say. "You look like shit."
"So I keep getting told." If he'd just shown up to insult him, he was gonna be pissed.

More awkward silence sat between them, and Jack was kind of wishing he'd leave. He hated this.