29

Riley's pov

She was staring, and not the way she usually did these days. There was a conflict in her eyes as they flickered back and forth over mine. My hand was on her waist as I brushed her cheek with the pad of my thumb on the other hand.

"Riles I ..." she stuttered seeming flustered. Our close proximity was clearly affecting her and I welcomed it with open arms.

"I've missed hearing you call me that." I admitted as the sound of her nickname for me vibrated through every vein in my body.

"I don't think..." she was still nervous, licking her lips which admittedly just made me want her even more. Britt was always the only one for me, but flustered Britt was pure perfection bundled in a cute, anxious bow.

"Don't think, just do what you want to do Britt." I told her as I watched her tongue gliding slowly across her lower lip. I needed to get my mouth on hers and soon.

I tightened my grip on her waist as I pulled her face towards mine. I wanted this whether it ended in disaster or not. I needed to show her that I loved her. I always had and nothing that had happened between us had changed that. I don't think anything ever really could.

I watched the conflicting emotions as her eyes darted between mine. I knew she was fighting an internal battle with herself, especially when she squeezed her eyes closed.

When they opened again we were but a breath away from each other, and yet the hesitation was gone. In its place was something wild, feral, a fire that I hadn't seen since we were kids.

She moved her hands from her lap and turned her body towards mine as she reached around my neck and grabbed the short hairs that stood there, the spot she knew always drove me crazy.

She gave me a shy nod and I hesitated, just enough to where she took the lead, pulling my neck towards her, closing the distance until her lips brushed against mine and I lost every last thread of self restraint I had.

I knew I shouldn't kiss her, knew she was vulnerable and yet all I could think about was how much I wanted, no needed to have her back. If that meant I had to take my chances with her moment of weakness then so be it, but I wanted my family back.

Truthfully I have hated having to visit the kids and go home alone, or keep them for short periods of time only to drop them off later. I wanted the whole package, the picket fence in laymen's terms. To build a life with the girl I've always loved, and our kids.

What I hated even more was that she was clearly miserable. I couldn't stand seeing her like this, upset over someone else. It hurt me when she was hurting and all I wanted to do was take the pain away from her in whatever way I could.

I felt her lips as they grazed mine ever so delicately. She was confident enough to initiate it, but not enough apparently, to know that I would reciprocate the action.

I squeezed her waist and held her face firmly to mine as I pressed my lips against hers softly at first and then I increased the pressure suddenly, causing her to gasp.

As soon as her lips parted I ceased the opportunity and sucked her bottom lip, tracing the outline of it with my tongue, before I pressed my tongue into her mouth and found our rhythm. She had me wherever she wanted me as soon as she groaned and if the feeling down below was anything to go by I was going to be hard real soon.

It was as if I were listening to my favorite song, hearing the birds chirping in the trees as they prepared for the whole day to come, that feeling of her lips on mine was refreshing like that. The brightest spark in a dark room, the light that guided the path to the final destination.