33

"Liam!" His voice echoed as the sound of approaching footsteps got louder. "I don't ask you for any god damn thing and the one time you call me is for a damn who-..." his voice cut off as soon as he got close enough to recognize me. "Britt?"

"Wait, bro do you know this chick?" He slurred, "She's a damn tease man, getting my hopes up only to call her fucking uncle.."

"Shut up Liam!" Kyle cut him off .

I just sat there frozen, unable to speak or move as my eyes stuck to Kyle's . I felt like that hole in my chest was opening back up. I had missed him so much, and yet I never considered how painful it would actually be to see him again, how fresh those feelings still were.

Thankfully I caught a glimpse of uncle Spencer walking in a few seconds later and took it as my cue to leave and avoid the whole situation.

"I need to go." I stuttered rushing off the stool and over to Spencer.

"Britt I.." he started as I rushed past him.

I didn't wait before I told Spencer I was ready and followed him out of the bar, turning around just before I walked out to a stunned looking Kyle staring at me.

Spencer put his arm protectively around my shoulders and guided me to his truck, then he helped me in and climbed in the drivers seat. A few moments into the ride he turned the radio down.

"We can come back tomorrow for your car, are you okay?"

"That's a loaded question." I replied as I bottled up the intense rush of emotions running through me.

"Well we are all here for you Britt. I know it sucks sometimes, but we all want to help."

"Thanks uncle Spencer." I half smiled.

"So who was the guy beside him?" He asked without judgement.

"Oh you mean, 'bro I'm trying to get laid' guy? Apparently that's Kyles brother." I shrugged, "but Kyle and Ava never mentioned him before."

"Well if his mom is anything to go by I'm not surprised." He replied. "Did you talk to him?"

I let out a deep breath, maybe I should have. Maybe I could have asked Spencer to give me a minute to ask the questions I had been trying to make sense of in my head. "No, he had just got there when you walked in."

He didn't respond after that and the car got pretty quiet. It seemed as if he wanted to ask me something, his fingers were tapping the steering wheel as if contemplating what to say as we slowly left the bustle of the city and out towards more scenic surroundings.

"Uncle Spencer? If you want to ask me something you can." I broke the silence.

"It's not my business, I'm just trying to figure out what it is you want? I'm not trying to be mean, please don't take it that way, it's just you were happy with Kyle and as soon as Riley came back suddenly it was over."

"Join the club." I sighed "I don't know, that's why I'm just going to stay to myself for a while. I need to figure me out before I commit to anyone else." I admitted which seemed to appease him, but I wasn't done. "It's like I love both of them at the same time but differently if that makes sense, but it's like I know that when I choose I'll loose one of them forever, and they both mean so much to me and the kids, so I don't know what to do. I just think I need time, you know, to figure it all out."

" I think you have the right idea. Thanks for opening up to me." He smiled.

"Thanks for coming to get me." I replied as my house finally came into view. "And thanks for keeping the kids tonight." I leaned over to hug him as he pulled into my driveway.